• Costal Impact Assistance Program• What does it do? • The CIAP program provides funds to Outer Continental Shelf oil and gas producing States for the conservation, protection and preservation of coastal areas, including wetlands. (BOEMRE, 2011) • States include Alabama, Alaska, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, and TEXAS!
• The Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) will digitize the coastal historical photography of the Texas coast for selected decades between 1940 and 1990 • This project will serve as a historic and educational record of visualizing coastal change and erosion through time!
• In an average month at TNRIS the 4 interns could… • Generate approximately 5200 scans of archived historical aerial photos at 800dpi OR approximately 2600 scans at 1000dpi. • Or produce approximately 625 georeferenced frames.• Each aerial scanned ensures permanent preservation of the historic photo and prevents it from becoming damaged or misplaced.• The georeferencing of these frames is one step in providing the public free, downloadable access to the historic archives of TNRIS.
ScanReference Mosaic Test From a file cabinet of historic photos, to a seamless functional data layer!
• Bring in scanned image and local mosaic• Set resampling settings and HTML metadata autogeneration• Collect manual points• Auto Point Generation!• Image Check• Output
• Edge Match• Mosaic Pro • Seam Lines • Attributes and Editing • Output Image • Color Corrections • Image Dodging • Overlap Function • Feathering • Smoothing • Resolution • Post Process • Stretch • Sharpen • Export as JPEG2000
• You Win! (The State) • We Win! (The Interns) • An extremely efficient and low cost • We learn valuable, hands on solution to digitizing the State’s experience using GIS on real world historic aerial photo archive! projects! • Free, downloadable, 24-hour access • Our increased GIS skill set and to the digital archive via GEMSS! experience gives us an edge over our peers increasing my • Access to a high-quality, seamless marketability when applying for and collarless, historic county-wide professional jobs! photo layer! • We get to work beside experts in • County layer and individual frames the GIS field and can get quick, are ALREADY GEOREFERENCED and accurate answers to our GIS and come with metadata! mapping questions! • All of this means you can save time, • We are able to work on a variety money, and a trip to our windowless of projects diversifying our basement! experience! • We can earn college credit through our internship!