You're on another typical JavaEE-based project, and you find yourself writing the same old infrastructure code. Are you wondering if there's a quicker way to incorporate the basics such as configuration, logging, and email into your application? If so, then this presentation is for you. By using a number of Apache utilities from
Commons, Logging, and other areas, you can learn how to stop re-inventing the wheel.
We'll start with a simple Struts 2 application and iteratively add the ability to:
• Use Commons Lang for String and Date utilities.
• Use Commons Property Configuration to setup and use application Properties.
• Use Commons Logging and Log4J to log messages.
• Generate Excel spreadsheets with POI.
• Use Velocity Templates and Commons Email to format and send email messages.
• Use HttpClient to invoke web apps with HTTP/S.
• Use Commons IOUtils to simplify accessing web content.