1950s - Oil is discovered
1962 - Oil is exported for the first time from Abu Dhabi
What transformed UAE was the oil money that they got.
HOW IT FORMED
WHEN UAE WAS UAE
• On that date, at the Dubai Guesthouse Palace, four
other emirates agreed to enter into a union called
the United Arab Emirates. Ras al-Khaimah joined
later, in early 1972.
• The rulers of Abu Dhabi and Dubai decided to form a union
between their two emirates independently, prepare a
constitution, then call the rulers of the other five emirates to
a meeting and offer them the opportunity to join. It was also
agreed between the two that the constitution be written by
December 2, 1971.
Ajman FujairahSharjah Umm Al Quwain
• The United Arab Emirates was formed from the group of tribally
organized Arabian Peninsula sheikhdoms along the southern coast of the
Persian Gulf and the northwestern coast of the Gulf of Oman.
• Prior to independence, the UAE was Trucial Oman, also known as the
Trucial States, and the component sheikhdoms of the territory were under
• Although, from 1892, the United Kingdom assumed responsibility for the
sheikhdoms´ defense and external relations, they were otherwise
autonomous and followed the traditional form of Arab monarchy, with
each ruler having virtually absolute power over his subjects.
Abu Dhabi is now the capital and the second largest city in the United Arab Emirates.
Abu Dhabi lies on a T-shaped island jutting into the Persian Gulf from the central
ABU DHABI'S HISTORY
The history of Abu Dhabi dates back to the 3rd Millennium BC
because some parts of this region were inhabited even at that
period of time. Umm an-Nar, a culture named after the island
where it was discovered, came up near the present Abu Dhabi.
• The earliest recorded mention of Dubai is in 1095,
and the earliest settlement known as Dubai town
dates from 1799.
• Dubai was formally established in 1833 by Sheikh
Maktoum bin Buti al Maktoum when he persuaded
800 members of the Bani Yas tribe, living in what is
now part of Saudi Arabia, to follow him to the
Dubai Creek by the Al Abu Falasa clan of Bani Yas
• It remained under clan control when the United
Kingdom assumed the protection of Dubai in 1892.