semantics is the study of meaning, as inherent
at the levels of words, phrases, sentences
the Semantic Web is a web of data..
like a global database
ﬁrst step is putting data on the Web in a form that
machines can naturally understand...
This creates what I call Semantic Web -
a web of data that can naturally processed
directly or indirectly by machines
Sir Tim Berners-Lee, Weaving the Web, Harper San Francisco,1999
The term Linked Data refers to a set of best practices
for publishing and connecting strucutured data on the Web.
The Semantic Web is the goal or end result...
Linked Data provides the means to reach that goal.
from Linked Data: The Story So Far, Sir T. Berners-Lee 2009
Web of Linked Data
- designed for machine ﬁrst
- primarily links data about Things, not documents
- is for humans in the end
Haven’t we been putting data on the web?
Yes, in CSV, relational database, XML...
But these approaches are not so easy to integrate!
And mapping is no solution for a distribuited Web of Data
Actually it is about
a data (RDF)
and a naming (URI) model on the Web
Linked data applications operate on top of
unbound, global data space.
- Use URIs as names for things
- Use HTTP URIs so that everyone can look up those
- Provide useful information, by a URI, using standards RDF,
- Include links to other URIs discovering more things
Publishing Linked Data
- RDFizers convert data format into RDF
- D2R Server creates linked data from relational
- Sparq extracts linked data
Linked Data Browsers
navigate between data sources
- merges data about the same things from different sources
- follows specific predicates found in retrived data such as owl:sameAs and rdfs:seeAlso in order to gain
more information about a resource and to obtain human-friendly resource labels
Linked Data Search Engines
- for Apps: Sindice, Swoogle
- for humans: Falcons, SWSE
provides API that other linked data apps can use
The Semantic Web isn't just about putting data on the
web. It is about making links, so that a person or machine
can explore the web of data.
With linked data, when you have some of it, you can ﬁnd
other, related, data....
If someone has the URI of that thing, what relationships to what other objects is it useful
to know about?
Linked data is essential to actually connect the semantic web. It is quite easy to do with a
little thought, and becomes second nature.
Various common sense considerations determine when to make a link and when not to.
Date: 2006-07-27, last change: $Date: 2009/06/18 18:24:33 $
Status: personal view only. Editing status: imperfect but published