• Flora T. Cook describes the morning
assembly as “ The morning assembly
is a common meeting ground to
which each brings his offerings, the
fruit of his observation and studies
or music, literature, and art that
delight him, a place where all
cooperate for the pleasure and well-
being of the whole.”
• Prof. Fretwell calls the
assembly “Town meeting of
• W.R Smith: “School
assembly can serve as a
focusing centre for all form
of extra-curricular life.”
Nature of activities of the Assembly
Common activities of an assembly are,
• School prayer
• Singing of National anthem
• Singing of devotional song
• Roll call
• Checking of cleanliness
• Checking of school uniform
• Short speech or some moral aspect by the Head of the
Institution or the Teacher or the student of the Guest
• Mass drill
• Daily news.
Objectives, Purposes and Values of
• To provide a solemn occasion.
• To develop devotion to God and
• To develop spirit of patriotism
• To celebrate festivals and days
• To unify the school
• To serve as clearing house
• To familiarize the students with the
common rules and ideals of the
• To develop correct audience habits
• To give due recognition to
worthwhile achievements publicly
• To give opportunities to students to
face the audience
• To widen interest
• To develop good habits
• To motivate students
• To make general announcements
Edmonson and others expect the assembly to
discharge the following functions:
To develop school unity.
To encourage school spirit.
To motivate curricular functions.
To stimulate extra curricular activities.
To motivate expression and over come self-
To develop proper habits and attitudes in
To share information.
To influence public opinion.
To develop aesthetic sense.
Essentials for Ideal Assembly Programs
• All programs should be carefully planned and
• Sufficient care should be exercised to ensure that
the students observe disciplinary etiquettes.
• The assembly should not be made a forum for
saying unpleasant things.
• One of the worst things a head would do in an
assembly is to find fault openly with some staff
member or to criticize the entire student
population of the school. This unpleasant
element should be avoided.
Importance of School Assembly
The school Assembly can save as the focusing
centre of all forms of curricular and co-
curricular life of a school. The following can
be achieved through school Assembly.
To unify the school
To interpret the work of the school
To develop desirable values, orientations
and positive attitudes in pupils
To provide a better understanding of
the problems of the contemporary
To recognize superior achievement of
any student or a group of students
To provide an opportunity to present
necessary administrative issues of the
Thought for the day presented in the
assembly will be inspiring for students
News reading is another item in school
assembly which familiarizes main news of
National Anthem, Pledge, etc. will
develop a feeling of national integration
It is helpful to encourage good audience
behavior and good manners.