When you are asked to write a review, you are called upon to pass judgment on a
certain food, film, restaurant, product, or almost anything that can be procured so
that the readers would be able to make informed decisions as consumers.
One thing that is also important is coming up with criteria for evaluating the
restaurant. What will be your standards for making a decision?
By doing this, you will be able to present your claims in a more objective manner,
thus lending more credibility to your work.
Hook - something intended to attract, catch, or hold the attention of the readers
A. Type of Restaurant
1. Fast Casual - offers disposable dishes and flatware
2. Family Style Dining - also known as casual style dining
3. Fine Dining - the highest priced type of restaurant
4. Cafe or bistro - does not offer table service; self-service
5. Fast Food
6. Restaurant Buffet - a buffet is a meal where guests serve
themselves from a variety of dishes set out on a table or sideboard
- includes self-service and catering services
- Third to fifth paragraphs are the critique proper of the review.
- Sample review mentions first the positive before the negative.
1. The rice is so affordable.
2. The dining area is good.
3. There is a relaxing ambiance. (soothing scent, green curtains with
elegant embroidery, and neatly arranged dining room)
1. The dishes are worn out.
2. The appetizers are not quite appetizing.
3. The soups are disappointing - served cold.
4. The dishes (such as bopis, sinigang, and humba) are in great need of
reheating. (very hard to eat and quite difficult to chew)
- Food preparation
* The management should exert extra effort to pepare dishes that are
served at their best.
* They should put aside the “pwde na yan mentality”and adopt
“pwdeng pwde na yan mindset”which values the best in every possible way
Get a notepad and write down your observations. You may use the guide.
This activity is intended to help you generate ideas for your review. It involves listing
down random ideas about the restaurant being reviewed.
You may use bullet points in prewrite listing.
The list corresponds with the categories mentioned in the chart prescribed
1st comment: the reputation of the restaurant
2nd comment: price
3rd comment: food
4th comment: restaurant's atmosphere
- Turn the points into a sentence form
- Simply write whatever you thought of the restaurant without any regard for any
- Simply put your ideas into paper and have your work in essay form.
- Do not be too conscious of your grammar and organization yet. Such a min might
impede (hinder) your thought processes, and prevent you writing all the important
points you wish to write.
-Ask your teacher and friends to check your work. Their comments will serve as a
guide for revising your work
- The comments will be used to improve the content of your piece and the
organization of your ideas.
Watch out for the ff:
1. Does your review have a clear general impression?
2. Do the details presented in the body adequately support the main idea?
3. Is the presentationof the criticisms presentable to the general audience, or do
they sound spiteful (cruel, malicious, offensive, libelous)?
4. Did the author maintain an objective (based on facts rather than feelings or
opinions) stance towards the restaurant being reviewed?
*In the sample second draft, there are several improvements in terms of content