• Monotheism (Belief in One God).
• God’s Fundamentals: Creation, Sustenance,
Guidance, and Judgment.
• “Humanity’s job is to make the Earth a better
• Humans are greedy, morally
weak, and thus need prophets
to teach others how to live.
• Five Pillars of Islam:
1. Shahada (Testify)
2. Salah (Prayer)
3. Seyam (Fasting)
4. Zakat (Charity)
5. Hajj (Pilgrimage)
• Oneness of Lordship, Oneness of Worship,
Oneness of Mankind.
The Original Islam
• The Pagan Arabs.
• Worshipped 360 Gods (polytheistic).
• Gods represented the powers of nature,
animals, sun, moon, stars, etc.
• All Gods are under the control of one supreme
God, or, Allah.
• Allah originally was the Moon God.
• Between 610 – 661 AD:
Muhammad’s Mission - revolution that changed
Arab societies, formed ‘New Islam’.
Social Security, Family Structure, Slavery,
Women's Rights / Ethnic Minorities, etc.
Islamic Reforms (cont.)
• Muhammad preached against social evils of
• Condemned practices of the Pagan Arabs,
Female Infanticide, Exploitation of the
Poor, Usury, Murder, Fornication, Adultery,
False Contracts, etc.
• “Muhammad lead many social and moral
reforms and changed the face of Islam to what it
is now known as today.”
• Based on an extremely conservative view of
Islam, emphasized by Jihad and Islam
• Use of Extreme Tactics, Bombings,
• Performed in order to achieve political/social