1971• The first email was sent between
1978• BBS (Bulletin Board System)
was developed for public
1979• First attempts with commerical
online services started with the likes
of “Prodigy” and “Compuserve”
1992-94• Launch of “Tripod”, “Geocities” –
A user generated site. (I was used
it till early 2004)
1997• Launch of Social Sites – Forum
(phpBB, vBulletin), Dating sites
• Launch of “Six Degrees”, AOL
1988-96• Launch of IRC (Internet Relay
• Launch of “ICQ” in 1996
2002• Sees the launch of “Friendster”
– riding on web 2.0, first general
social network, about 90m users
1999• “LiveJournal” launched –
unlike Six Degrees, this was
built around constantly
2003• “MySpace” is launched – Allows
customization of profiles
• Most popular social networking
site in 2006
2003• Launch of “LinkedIn” – first
professional social networking
• Orkut is owned and operated by Google
• Launched in 24 January 2004
2004-06• A 2004 Harvard only social
network site goes public by
2006 & it is “Facebook”
2006• “Twitter” is launched –
Allows live update of
messages upto 140 chars
2011• After multiple attempts –
• Six Degrees
Blog storage service that allows users to
create and store blogs.
• Google account holders are pre-registered – simply sign in
with your Google account information and you are ready to
create a blog.
• Customize a template using the template designer.
• Post text, photos, and videos to your blog.
• Start writing! It’s shared with the world.
• 2004 - Facebook (founded by Mark Zuckerberg at Harvard as
• largest and fastest growing site in the world
• membership initially limited to Harvard students,but was
expanded to other colleges in the Ivy League; later expanded
further to include any university student, then high school
students,and, finally, to anyone aged 13 and over
A social utility that connects people with
friends and others all over the world.
• It’s Free to anyone with a valid email address.
• Chat openly on people’s walls, or behind closed doors in a
• Upload pictures or videos onto your profile. Tag your friends so
whatever you uploaded shows up on their profile.
• Write status updates on your own profile – what you’re doing,
will do, or have already done.
• Keep “track” of your friends through the newsfeed.
• You have to be someone’s friend in real life
to be their friend on Facebook.
• You have to have something interesting to
say to post a status on Facebook.
• Facebook destroys your social skills.
• Facebook is going to sell your pictures.
What is Orkut? Orkut
• Forum community owned by Google
• Help users meet new and old friends and
maintain existing relationships
Cons of Orkut?
• Bad impact on the Indian society
• Too much competition (Facebook, Myspace)
• Information overload
• Hard to tell if people are lying
• Misused to promote hate crimes
•Founded in December 2002
and launched on May 5, 2003
A business-oriented social networking site – mainly
used for professional networking.
• Sign up and establish your professional profile online.
• Profile is set up like a resume – previous jobs, current job,
• Network with experts to find new ideas and opportunities in
the field of your interest.
• Find colleagues and friends all across the professional world.
Creation, in March 2006, and its launch in July 2006.
known as a “SMS OF INTERNET”.
Founded by Jack Dorsey
•Twitter is a free social networking and micro-
blogging service that enables its users to send and
read messages known as tweets.
•Tweets are text based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the
author's profile page and delivered to the author's subscribers who are known
•Twitter is ranked as one of the ten-most-visited websites
•Twitter helps linking up with a community of people who share
•Live event reporting: finding out what people are talking away from
conferences, debates, sporting events, etc., in real time
TWITTER IS GOOD FOR:
•With twitter you can be hyper connected with your friends
and always know what they are doing
•Quick Human Answers: Ask folks on your friends list which
digital camera to buy for under 5,000 rupee, and you will get a
stream of responses in a short time
•Faster news spread: twitter lead the media in breaking
news about us airways flight crashing in New York Hudson
river. Twitter users broke the news of the incident around
15minutes before media alerted the viewers
You can follow people,
people can follow you.
Software application that allows users
to make voice calls over the internet.
• Free to sign up – Users create a profile where they can add
• FREE video/voice calls through Skype to other users.
• Calls/Text messages to landlines and mobile phones can also
be made – for a small fee.
• Video conference with multiple people at the same time.
• Instant messaging capable.
• Offers two types of accounts: Free and Pro
• Free account users can upload up to 100 MB of
images a month and 2 videos – Pro is unlimited
• Users organize photos using tags – this allows people
searching for images related to certain topics to find
• 2010 – feature became available for users to label
their photographs as suitable for stock use
Online photo management
and sharing application.
Launched February 2004
Google launched the Google+
service as on June 28, 2011
Google+ is the new social networking
site by Google. The Google+ project
aims to make sharing on the web more
like sharing in real life. Some of the
interesting features of Google+ that
makes it stand out from other social
networking sites :
Circle based privacy
Have you ever wanted your photo on
Facebook but not want your boss to see
it? In Google plus – there is an option
called “ circles ”. Using circles , you can
place your friends in different circles
and the information you are sharing is
only visible to particular groups.
Privacy: You can share the information
within the circle, ensures high-level
Video Conferencing on Web
Multiple video streams at
You can have a video call with more than ten friends at a
time, compared to a lesser number in other networks.
Another feature is that you can view You Tube videos
while on the call with your friends.
See/Share what/whom you want
Stream is the place where you can see/share content with people within your circles and also see
contents shared to you. It'll not be available to whom aren't in your circles.
Mobile Phone Apps:
Do it all from your phone
Google+ is available on mobile phones. There is a variety of Mobile phone Applications like
instant uploads, Huddle, etc developed for mobile networking.
Social networking advantages:
•You can promote your site or business for free: If we have a
business or site we can promote it by creating a business profile on
some of this networks.
•Keep in touch:Social networking provides a great way for you to
stay in touch with people who may have moved away
•Brings business and oppurtunities: The more people you
meet and interact with, the more business opportunities you
are likely to come across.
• you can load images, business logo, etc. into your profile it
will be visible for all friends and users who visit our profile
which increases sales also by putting topics on groups related
to the business
Social networking will help you get in touch with classmates and childhood friends.
Discovering all these individuals without the help of social networking websites will be
time consuming and difficult.
You can obtain comments about anything that you need to have the opinions
of others on. Social networking facilitates this exchange of ideas.
Social networking allows people to get feedback about their job, the project they are
currently involved in or the blog posting that they recently wrote.
The Disadvantages Of Social Networking Sites:
•The most glaring disadvantage of social networking sites is the risk of
identity theft and fraud.The personal information of users can be used by
dubious people for illegal activities
•Information like the e-mail address, name, location, and age can be
used to commit online crimes.
•Also, many people pretend to be someone else and prepare their online
profiles with false information, so as to dupe unsuspecting users. So, if you do
not know the person face to face then it will be very hard for you to find the
•If you are careful when giving out information and networking on
social sites than you will most likely be safe and have a great time
connecting with others.