What they are, Product categories,
Products, Links, Markets
What are they?
• Poly means many ; mers means parts
• Polymers are either Natural & Synthetic
• The first synthetic polymer, a phenol-formaldehyde
polymer, was introduced under the name “Bakelite”
• Rayon is the first synthetic Fiber
• Polymers are commonly used in thousands of products as
plastics, elastomers, coatings, and adhesives.
• They make up about 80% of the organic chemical industry
• Natural rubber is a polymer of isoprene in the form of
folded polymeric chains which are joined in a
network structure and have a high degree of flexibility
• Polymer is composition of monomers. Carbons atoms combine with
hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, chlorine, or sulphur to form monomers.
• Monomers are then chemically bonded into a chain called Polymers.
• Plastic are polymers with high molecular weight
• Polymer - a chemical substance consisting of molecules characterized by
the sequence of one or more types of monomer units and comprising a
simple weight majority of molecules
containing at least 3 monomer units which are covalently bound to at least
one other monomer unit or other reactant and which consists of less than
a simple weight majority of molecules of the same molecular weight. Such
molecules must be distributed over a
range of molecular weights wherein differences in the molecular weight
are primarily attributable to differences in the number of monomer units.
• Not all polymers can be manufactured due to
• Some Polymers are exempted and can be produced
• Cationic polymers and those polymers which are
reasonably anticipated to become cationic in the
natural aquatic environment are excluded from the
exemption and may not be manufactured under it. The
principal concern is the toxicity toward aquatic
• India still will be importing over 3 MMT of Polymers in 2016
• Polymer industry - an integral part of mega petrochemical industry
• Crude oil is a key raw material for polymers ; profitability of the
industry has been hit due to rise in International crude oil prices
• Naphtha is the principal feed stock for polymers in India.
• Rising naphtha prices have driven the polymer prices upwards
• The domestic polymer industry is dominated by Polyolefin’s
• Indian Polyolefin Industry market is dominated by four
• Indian manufacturers have real time opportunities to expand
India imported in the First three weeks of October 2014,
acrylic polymers worth USD 126,602,280 with total
quantity of 47,389,215. Japan is the largest supplier of
acrylic polymers accounting for imports worth USD
16,514,081 followed by China and Taiwan which
exported acrylic polymers worth USD 14,073,549 and
USD 12,871,150 respectively.
Nhava Sheva Sea accounted for 72.2% of imports
followed by Chennai Sea and Vizac Sea which account
for 12.7% and 3.4% of imports respectively.
Average price of acrylic polymers per unit is USD 2.67 and
average value per shipment is 15,385
• India imported in the last two years, polyamide hardener
worth USD 147,255 with total quantity of 22,401. South
Korea is the largest supplier of polyamide hardener
accounting for imports worth USD 66,933 followed by
France and United Kingdom which exported polyamide
hardener worth USD 43,844 and USD 22,051 respectively.
• Nhava Sheva Sea accounted for 53.1% of imports followed
by Chennai Sea and Bombay Air Cargo which account for
33.6% and 13.3% of imports respectively.
• Average price of polyamide hardener per unit is USD 6.57
and average value per shipment is 7,363
• More such data for all polymers….contact us..
For Questions, contact :
Primary Information Services
21 Murugappan St, SwamyNagar Ext2,
Ullagaram, Chennai - 600091, India.
Phone: 91 044 22421080
FAX : 91 44 22423753
Mobile numbers: 9940043898, 9444008898