WordPress is the perfect tool for startups! Free, open source, has several customization options and is backed by an active community – the perfect tool any startup needs!
Today’s startups face a mélange of issues – one of them is the need for a potent tool to support them. This is where WordPress comes into the picture: From creating enterprise grade websites for their corporate website, to riding the eCommerce wave by setting up a WooCommerce-powered online store, to even providing Web development services through WordPress, the possibilities are limitless!
This talk will go on to analyze specific details on how a startup can leverage the power of WordPress in various stages, to grow and become successful, along with a case-study.
The talk is conducted by Hari Shanker - A Happiness Engineer at Automattic.
WordPress For Startups - By Hari Shanker - WordCamp Nashik
Hari Shanker R
We are passionate about making the web a better place.
We’re always hiring!
“WordPress is both FREE and PRICELESS at the same time!”
- Matt Mullenweg, Co-Founder of WordPress
+26% of the web
Powers 1 in 4 websites
Total WordPress Sites
WordPress powers the internet & is the most popular Content
WordPress is so powerful & ﬂexible that you can use it to create ANYTHING on
the web, period.
Some Quick & Obvious
* If there isn’t, it’s part of the WordPress core already OR you should consider
writing a plugin for that! ;)
A.K.A. There’s a plugin for
anything and everything!*
The Corporate Website of Sony Music - built using WordPress.
Build Your Corporate Website
Create Your Online Store Using
The most popular eCommerce Solution on the web. Powering 37% of all
WordPress as a Social Network
Download the BuddyPress plugin for free at https://buddypress.org/
…Or Use Our P2 Theme & O2
And say good bye to emails for your company’s internal
Yes, for free!
Build Your Customer Support
Forum Using bbPress
Download for free at https://bbpress.org/
Create Your Own Media
Learn from the most visited online media portals in the world!
Building Advanced Web
That looks easy-peasy, right?
Your Temporary Solution / Permanent Engine
• Leverage the power of WordPress Plugins
to set up your product ASAP
• Custom Post Types For Advanced Content
• JSON REST API - Singlehandedly making
WordPress SaaS Friendly!
• Easy Portability
WordPress: Da Real MVP!
A SaaS Application Built Entirely Using WordPress in a month & later
acquired by CrazyEgg.
Adds a bar on top of your website to display custom messages.
• Chose WordPress for its powerful Content
• Used the S2Member Plugin For Managing
• Brute force login protection for security &
VaultPress for Backups
• Created custom plugins & Custom Post Types
to manage user data & for user experience.
The Hello Bar Story
• Set up a Custom Server Stack Using LNMP (Linux
nginx, MySQL & PHP-FHM)
• Employed Extensive Caching (APC for Object
Cache; Batcache & MemCached for public pages.
• Set up Replicated Database.
• SendGrid For SMTP Emails
• Followed Best WordPress Development Practices
Scaling Hello Bar
“All we did was we took a WordPress Blog and we skimmed it to say Groupon and
then every day we would do a new post with the points embedded. […] It was enough
to prove the concept and show that it was something that people really liked. “
- Andrew Mason, Founder of Groupon (Branded as NearBuy in India).
Groupon Started on
Bet you didn’t guess that! Did you?
is a multi million
Over 200,000 developers
owe their livelihood to
* Including yours truly. ;)
• Creating custom, WordPress powered websites for clients. (A
standard WP website can get your agency $15,000/ 10 Lakhs from a
• Creating advanced custom WordPress Themes/plugins (At least $30/
• Building online stores using WordPress - for clients/Advanced
• Running WordPress-powered blogs on dedicated topics with
advertising revenue model.
• WordPress consulting services.
• Web Hosting Service optimised for WordPress
Key WordPress Revenue
Some WordPress plugins & The
Revenue They Generate
3 WordPress enthusiasts - Mark Forrester, Adii Pienaar and Magnus Jepson,
started selling WordPress themes in 2008. In a few years time, they started
generating revenue to the tune of $2 million/year. WooThemes became part of
the Automattic family in 2015.
WooCommerce powers 30%+ of all online stores. Hits 7 Million
downloads and the team grows to 55, spread across 19 countries.
Acquired by for $30 Million.
WooCommerce hits 1 million Downloads! WooThemes
turns 5 and Sensei - a premier learning management
plugin is launched
They work together to build many more themes - the
100th Theme is launched! WooCommerce is born!
Mark, Magnus and Adii start WooThemes oﬃcially. They
start selling themes which became a roaring success
The First WooConf is conducted and is a hit! WooCommerce hits 4
Million Downloads! Woo Turns six!
WooCommerce gets popular! More extensions on WooCommerce
(including Subscriptions are launched). WooThemes also gets hacked.
Their most successful theme - Canvas was launched. More people are
hired, the mascot ‘Hiro’ is launched. The distributed company meets
• Stay Hungry, Stay Bootstrapped.
• Oﬀer Services; but think of building a product
• Open Source your code.
• Consider a Distributed Model of work.
• Focus on your employees - they are your BIGGEST
• Bring Customer Service to the top of your funnel!
Takeaways From The Story
Bootstrap your own business
Get clients excited about
Encourage customer feedback
(using support forums/email)
Provide excellent support.
Get involved with the community
Research your market
Do-s & Don’t-s for WordPress
Never do it all alone!
Your business is more
important than your product
There is no ‘Set it and forget it’!
Don’t Be let down by your
Forget to delegate.
NEVER HACK THE WORDPRESS