What Is The Glass Ceiling?
● An invisible barrier that keep women and
minorities from progressing in their careers
● It’s the point in a career when you can see
the next level of promotion but despite
your efforts are unable to move forward
due to this invisible barrier.
● Over the years the glass ceiling concept is being
dispelled (a doubted non-factual concept)
○ Glass is clear so women can see those above them and
therefore are capable of career advancements
○ Additionally, women in top level positions are increasing
How To Break The Glass Ceiling
According to Mindtools.com
● Identify the Key Competencies within Your
○ Key competencies are the common skills and
attributes of the people in your company's upper
levels. These skills are often tied closely to the
organization's culture and vision.
● Set Objectives to Align Your Competencies with
○ Once you know your target, set goals to get there.
You're responsible for determining your own career
direction. Be proactive and go after what you want,
because it probably won't be handed to you. - See
● Build Your Network
○ Build relationships with other people in your
organization. You never know who may be in a
position to help you or provide you with valuable
● Know Your Rights
○ watch for discriminatory behavior. Sometimes
biases and stereotyping can cross the line into
● Find a Mentor
○ Having a mentor is a powerful way to break
through the glass ceiling.
Kimberly Collins The Educated Natural