• Search Engine optimization isn’t about “gaming the system” or
dirty practices. It’s about helping your visitors ﬁnd answers
that only you can provide.
• You search for answers, why wouldn’t your users? Help them
How do I
Obligatory Cat Photo
GOOGLE ISTHE BIGGEST
• Although other search engines exist, most
visitors will ﬁnd your site via Google.
• The same principles apply: great content that
targets speciﬁc words and phrases and is easy to
access on different devices.
• Content needs to be at least 250 words, but the
real focus is on providing relevant information,
not padding the page for search engines.
• Write for people ﬁrst.Then go back and add
those keywords you want to rank for.
• It’s time to…
• SEO is just a fancy acronym for common sense
things everyone on the web does.
• Optimization is something that helps everyone,
not just Google.
• Seeing results is fun and rewarding!
NO,YOU WON’T RANK #1
• Not for the word “shoes” or “dogs,” anyway. But
guess what?! You can rank #1 for your niche.
• Can’t hit “wordpress tutorials?” How about
“WordPress tutorials for lawyers.” Boom! Market
• Actually you probably don’t even need to
• What you really want is to be on the front
page of the search results. Even if you’re the
last link on the page, you’re still more likely to
• Think about it…what do you use Google for?
• Probably to get information that’s super speciﬁc.
Not just “Apartments,” but “studio apartments
• Not just “Used Book Stores” but “Used Book
Starts that Pay Cash.”
Getchya Site in Order
Optimization Starts at Home
LINK BUILDING IS AWESOME
• You have to have something amazing to build
• If you build links to your “how to build a bird
feeder” article, it should tell me how to build a
bird feeder when I get there!
• Birds are weird.
They don’t make any sense!
STOP Using Clickbait Titles
• “Clickbait” or “Upworthy” titles may intrigue visitors, but it’s
not the best way to advertise your site.
• Instead, make it clear in your title that you provide a
• You only have seconds to make the right impression. Don’t
rely on other trends to make your brand unique.
• Make your title straightforward and your content out of this
• YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS IN
• 3 REASONSYOUR DOG SHOULD BE IN
DAYCARE WHILEYOU WORK
• I SAWTHE PRICING FOR DOGGY DAYCARE
AND COULDN’T BELIVE IT!
• HOW MUCH DOES DOGGY DAYCARE COST?
• You can give your content a fun title and then change
the url to something more straightforward.
• Title: “Here’s an easy trick to afford sending your dog
• Permalink: olivethepuppy.com/afford-doggy-daycare
(not a real website)(anymore)(olive’s ﬁne though)
I kept it safe
for you mom.
Drum Roll Please…
• Sure, there are thousands of results for basic content. But
guess what?That means thousands of searches!
• Visitors want to learn directly from you. They want to
know that you know how to help them!
• Content that seems “basic” to you could be a lifesaver to your
future customers. It’s amazing for on-boarding.
• Beginner content can even be used for email marketing as a
ODDLY SPECIFIC EXAMPLES
• What is Doggy Daycare? (Explain the process.Tell
them the beneﬁts.Tell them how you beneﬁt them.
Clients with beneﬁts.What?)
• Do I Need to Send My Dog to Daycare? (Probably!
At least in this example you do. Here’s why…and also
send them to us, this ﬁctional doggy daycare agency.)
• Will My Dog Be Safe in Daycare? (Yes.What kind of
monster would hurt animals?)
• Content doesn’t have to be boring. Make up
fun metaphors. Use pictures of your animals even
though dogs only make about 5 faces total.
• Use the simple stuff to lead up to the
advanced content. Tell them the “what” and sell
them the “how.”
BE AN EXPERT NOT A “GURU”
• Unless you’re writing technical manuals for 3D
rendering programs (fun fact: that was my ﬁrst ever
freelancing gig), you’re trying to reach customers
with a basic understanding of how you can help
• Teach them what a table is before you sell them a
hammer. (and wood, and screws, and varnish, you
• See the results of your
efforts right in your
• See what search results are
driving people to your page.
• Keep track of your visitors
daily, weekly, monthly, and in
custom time frames.
• No framework? No
problem! WPTouch will help
you create a mobile version
of your current website.
• Go PRO to get fancy
themes and extra features.
PSA: Theme Frameworks Rock!
• Use a theme framework like Genesis from StudioPress or
Divi from ElegantThemes to get a mobile responsive website
that stays inline with your brand.
• You can also ﬁnd mobile responsive themes on places like
themeforest.net if you’re looking for a quick and easy setup.
• Simply search for “mobile responsive WordPress” to learn
which theme setup works for you. Save yourself a plugin!
• With over 1 million sites
support, yoast is the only
guided see plugin you
• Get an easy to use checklist
for creating SEO content,
including a preview of what
your content will look like in
• Redirect URLs to new
destinations to create SEO
relevant afﬁliate links, or
• Get fancy and setup
ALL 404 REDIRECTTO
• Instantly send all 404 errors
back to your homepage.
• Great for smaller websites.
• Easy solution for after
deleting any “test” content
or time sensitive items.
• Focus on creating amazing,
helpful, relevant content.
• Aim to rank for speciﬁc,
• Use straightforward titles.
• Write content for beginners
to build up trust.
• Take a lot of dog photos.