• As soon as our child is born we educate them.
• How to cross the road.
• How to behave in the “real world”.
• Not to talk to strangers etc.
But then we give them a phone and fail to give them the same level of
education and support.
Soon they know more than we do, but their fearless approach + a lack
of life experience can be a recipe for disaster.
• 45% of 12-15 year-olds know someone who has been cyberbullied.
• 84% of children aged 5 to 15 use a device to access the internet at home.
• 31% of 7-11’s said mean comments stop them enjoying time online.
• 45% of parents whose children had an underage profile on Facebook didn’t
know the minimum age was 13.
• 26% of children aged 10 to 13 use the internet for 3 hours or more a day.
• 25% children aged 11 to 12 who have a profile on a social networking site
have had an upsetting experience on it.
• 44% of children aged 12-15 have downloaded an app on their mobile in the
• 75% of children over 13 access the internet on their mobile.
• The average 12-15 year old spends 1.5 hours on their mobile daily.
• 44% of children aged 10 to 13 use social networking sites.
• 33% of 12 to 15 year olds are connected to people they don’t know on their
social networking sites.
Social Media - Age Limits
• Facebook – 13 years old
• Twitter – no age limit but Twitter says it is not intended for users under 13
years old .
• Instagram – 13 years old
• Google+ – 13 years old
• Myspace – 13 years old
• Snapchat – 13 years old
• WhatsApp – 16 years old
• Ask.fm – 13 years old
• Vine – 17 years old
• Secret – 12 years old
• Tinder – 12 years old
• KIK -13 years old
• WeChat – 12 years old
• Spotify – 13 years old
What is Snapchat?
• A Mobile App – users can
send pictures and video that
disappear in 10 seconds or
• 43% of 15-24 year olds in
Ireland have a Snapchat
• 50% use the app daily.
Snapchat - The Rules
• Users under 13 not eligible for
an account. There is an option
for this audience SnapKidz.
• 13-17 year olds should have
parental consent when
opening a Snapchat account.
Educate yourself while you educate your child. Get involved early
Tip 1 – Stop Strangers contacting
your children amend their settings
• You can configure Snapchat
to only accept messages from
users on your “My Friends”
list. To change this, go to the
settings menu in the
application, select “Who can
send me snaps...”, then select
“My Friends” instead of
Tip 2 – Know how to Block a user
To block a user, tap the Menu
icon, select “My Friends” locate
their name in the list and press
on their name). Select the
settings wheel and then Block.
Tip 3 – Your Child needs to know
that their images may re-appear
Snapchat attempts to detect when
recipients take a screenshot
and sends a notification to the
sender, but even this is not fool Proof.
Users may attempt to take “Screen
shots” of your message.
Beware users that receive a Snapchat
message can capture the content and
share it elsewhere. Eg Snap Box and
Tip 4 – If your child receives an
abusive or inappropriate
message via SnapChat
Email to email@example.com and be sure to
• The nature of the message
• Time and date the message was sent
• Sender’s username
• Sender’s approximate age (if known)
• Username of your child’s account that
received the message
• Age of the child that received the message
Parent Guide for SnapChat - http://bit.ly/snapsafe
Tip 5 – Request an account to be deleted
unt - (Need the username and
If you do not have access to your
Tip 5 – Restrict ability to reinstall
Facebook Safety Help
Fastest growing Social Network – 200 Million users
Hashtags are a way of tagging a
Messages can spread very fast with
To search for hashtags on
Instagram click on the explore tab to
search for popular hashtags.
Users can now decide to
make their message public
or just share to a select
number of individuals.
You can now create Instagram
Up to 15 seconds in length.
Create a unique look with their 14
How to find a hidden App
- Check Folders inside of
- Check for Apps in the
- On an ipod, ipad or iphone:
Place your finger on the
screen and scroll down. You
will see a “Search” option at
the top the phone.
Great General Information:
Set up Privacy Settings:
Google Play: http://bit.ly/googleplayprivacy
Tesco Mobile: - http://bit.ly/tescoprivacy
3 Mobile: http://bit.ly/3mobileprivacy
A BIG thank you to
a full list of her
Over to you…..
15 minutes chat with lots of “Eureka”
- 5 Top Safety Tips around mobile
- 5 Educational Apps you would
- 5 “Fun” Apps you children are using.
- 5 Family friendly Apps.
- 5 Social Media Apps we should be aware
Download the presentation -