A2 Media studies – Audience Feedback – questionnaire
Do you feel the manor drive trailer was successful compared to existing soap opera trailers?
From this data we can see that the audience feel the ‘Manor Drive’ trailer was successful when
compared with existing soap opera trailers such as Eastenders, this is mainly due to the shot types
that were used in the group trailer.
Why do you think the trailer is the answer you have selected? Successful, not as professional or
1. The location was realistic and people can relate to this as it is a club/bar.
2. The weather suits the entire theme of revenge as is a cold a gloomy day and fits the mood
it’s trying to create.
3. The type of shots and angles were professional and created different meanings, which is
what many existing trailers do.
4. The characters are young people, so us as the audience can relate with them especially
when it’s younger viewers.
5. Shots were professional evokes different connotations, such as the close shot of the wheel
as it came to a stop, it’s very similar to the way it’s been filmed in some of the EastEnders
episodes and trailers.
Successful trailer compared to existing soap
Not as professional
6. Good use of the sound track, it creates deep meanings of the theme of revenge which is
shown well throughout the trailer.
7. The BBC three logo and voiceover at the end is very realistic as voiceovers are used in every
promotional trailer for soap operas and TV dramas.
8. The sounds of the car door and door squeak add realism to the trailer for the characters as
well as the audience along with the sound track.
9. Theme of revenge is presented successfully
10. Different themes are portrayed, and the female characters shows strong dominance over
the other characters and the use of the flashback really draws our attention as the audience,
as we get to see a preview of past and current events.
From the responses given, it has been noticed that the trailer was successful according to many
aspects of filming a trailer such as, the lighting, location, characters, and most important shot types
as well as non-diegetic and diegetic sound which are all important codes and conventions that
complete the trailer. In the research made before filming and editing, we had done thorough textual
analysis which allowed us to explore and witness different codes and conventions of different soap
opera trailers. This planning and research allowed us as a group to create a successful soap opera
What themes do you feel were shown well in the trailer and how?
1. It is because of the music (the sound track).
2. The flashback shows the group leaving her as she is injured and she opens her eyes shows,
she remembers and will take her revenge on them.
3. The flashback shows the past events and what each of the characters think about.
What themes are presented and how?
4. The girls return has shocked the other characters, shows they are shocked and were not
expecting her to be there, which shows the girls dominance and the groups fear.
5. The soundtrack lyrics are in time and synced with the shots of the girl as she enters the
room, like for example when the bottle stops spinning, the word revenge is introduced
which signifies the main characters motive for revenge.
6. The flashback presents a motive for the girl wanting to take revenge.
7. The arrival of the woman creates an atmosphere of danger as her journey to the bar is
signified with all of the shots used, the flashback shows she is injured with blood and her
opening her eyes afterwards shows there is danger approaching for the group of people.
8. The young characters in the soap opera portray the stereotypical aspects of youth, as the
characters in the trailer are all teenagers, and the themes of danger and revenge portray
their realistic and dangerous encounters they face due to things they have done.
9. The theme of revenge portray also a theme of death as there the female was injured in the
flashback, and her opening her eyes show possible death of maybe one of the characters in
10. Friendships are portrayed by the group of friends gathered around the table at the lounge
room, shows they are quite close as a group, and the encounter with the female arriving
could possibly show how close they really are in the actual soap opera.
It is understood from this question, that the audience feel revenge is portrayed particularly well
through the use of the sound track music used as part of non-diegetic sound; the flashback which is
a popular technique used in trailers, soaps and TV dramas. Also other themes were presented
through characters and portrayal as a group.
What stood out the most on the ‘Soap Surf’ magazine front cover?
In this question, everyone had chosen mostly chosen the masthead, as this looks like the most
professional feature as this is the magazine logo, therefore audience members will look at the logo
as well as other interesting features on the magazine. Also the main image was chosen by 4 people
this shows the main image is also of an interest to readers as they want to see who the main feature
is of the magazine. The cover lines are equally important as they provide the readers with further
information about the soaps.
Do you think the song used for the background sound; with the lyrics ‘revenge’ particularly suit
the ‘Manor Drive’ trailer? Please explain why.
What stood out the most on the 'Soap Surf'
magazine front cover?
The masthead (Magazine name
- Soap Surf)
The manor drive trailer portrays themes of revenge and danger and so the lyrics suit
The lyrics are synced and in time with the confrontation of the female character at the table,
therefore her return with the word ‘revenge’ in the chorus of the song makes the trailer very
When the word ‘revenge’ is repeated its very exciting for the viewers because many
thoughts cross our mind such as why has she returned and where has she returned from and
why is she taking revenge?
The song is slow and creepy and suits the aura of the trailer.
The trailer shows the soap is all about revenge and so the lyrics of the song go well with the
Shows the main character will be getting her revenge and so the song suits the trailer.
Which one of the ancillary products persuaded you to watch the new soap opera, ‘Manor Drive’?
From this question, it was identified that the trailer was the most persuasive method to attract
viewers to watch the soap opera. The trailer helps people to visualise the characters and the actual
plot, it also gives a sense of danger and action and this is something which many viewers enjoy
What aspect of the poster did you most like and why?
1. I liked the use of black and white as it makes the person look isolated
2. The background is black and white and creates a sense of alienation and loneliness
Which of the ancillary products persuaded
you to watch the new soap opera?
Magazine front cover
3. Connotes danger and revenge as with the tag line uses the word ‘revenge’
4. The use of the tagline including ‘revenge’ and the dark background image promotes danger,
action and revenge.
5. The social media logos advertise the soap opera further through these social media services
for the viewers.
6. The person who has their back to the camera shows secrecy, and this makes the viewer’s
think who this person is? Which makes it more interesting and they would want to find out
by watching the soap.
7. The poster is simple, and with its simplicity it is very meaningful and has deep connotations
of revenge and danger.
8. The tagline is very strong and speaks from the person’s point of view as though this person is
getting revenge and the background also creates meaning as it gives an insight into the dark
themes that are interpreted.
9. The image is strong as well as the tagline, the merging of the person in the coat in the image
shows they are dangerous.
10. The use of the days and times the soap is on advertises the soap opera so that the viewer’s
know when it is on, and what channel it can be watched.
This has helped me to understand the opinions of potential viewers about my poster as a whole, as I
wanted to keep the poster simple yet provoke many deep connotations when people see the poster.
I planned for the tagline and the image to be the focal point and main attraction of the poster, and
this was successfully achieved by the image manipulation done as well as deep thinking of a