• USA (18 years)
• and France (11 years)
• Database/Data Architecture
– Microsoft SQL Server
– DB2, Postgres, MySQL, and others …
• Database talent pool:
– Top database experts from around the globe.
– Acclaimed Authors.
– Speakers to many events and conferences.
• Database Tools: P&T Tool - highly graphical (Sybase, Oracle and MS SQL Server)
• Database Education & Training
DATABASE Architechs’ Principals
• Managing Principal & Co-owner:
– Research and Development,
– DB Design
Paul Bertucci – P&T for MS SQL Server, Sybase and Oracle
email@example.com • European focus until recently, company
• DB Architechs Founder and Advisor: growth leader – multiple years
– DB Design • Expanding DB Architechs consulting
– P&T for MS SQL Server, Sybase, DB2 and practices to USA and Asia
• Sybase P&T and DBA Certified Professional
• Data design expert: with Dr. Peter Chen
• Contributor to SQL Server 2005 Unleashed
• Primary Author of SQL Server 2000, 2005 &
• Co-Author of ADO.NET in 24 hours
• Author MS SQL Server High Availability
• Author Sybase Performance & Tuning
• Author Sybase Physical DB Design
• Veritas SQL Server Performance Series
Database Architechs global consulting team has delivered hundreds of high
scale, high impact database, data architecture, high availability and
performance and tuning engagements.
Our strengths are:
• Database Design and Data Analysis/Modeling
• Distributed Data Architectures/Data Replication
• Database Encryption/Security Frameworks
• High Availability, Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity
• Database and SQL Performance & Tuning
• Data Standards and Governance
• Delivery on time and within budget
• Extreme Quality of deliverables
• Knowledge Transfer and Education
Our Consulting Focus
• Database Consulting: • High Availability Consulting:
– HA Assessments
– Database Architecture
– HA Design/Architecture
– Database Design – HA Build-outs
– Data Modeling & Data Analysis – Mirroring, Snapshots …
– Database & SQL Performance & Tuning
• Enterprise Architecture
– Distributed Data & Data Replication
– EA Tools
– Data Integration & Transformation – EA Organization, Roles,
– Data Warehouse Responsibilities
& Business Intelligence – Architecture
– Database High Availability
• Education and Training
– Master Data Management – SQL training
– Metadata Management – Data Modeling
– Disaster Recovery – P&T training
& Business Continuity – Data Replication training
– Physical DB Design
– Database Security & Compliance
– Multi-dimensional OLAP
– Database Education & Training – Process Modeling
– Database Performance & Tuning tools
Our past and current partners
Services Partners: High Tech Partners:
• Fusion Storm • HP / Mercury
• Ascent Services Group • Microsoft
• Computer Science Corporation (CSC) • ParAccel
• Cap Gemini Ernst & Young (CGEY) • Solid Data
• i2 Technologies • Sybase
• Collaborative Consulting (Boston)
Joint Proposals, as a named sub,
and as augmentation
All of these Authors are
Consultants at Database Architechs
Our past and upcoming Events
Data Management Association – SF, Dec 16
PASS Summit 2009 – Seattle, Nov 2-5
Oracle OpenWorld – SF, Oct 11-15
MDM Summit – San Francisco, Aug 24-26
MS SQLSUG – San Diego, Aug 20
SQL Saturday – Portland, Jun 6
MS SQL Server 2008 Migration WS – SF, April 29
MS SQLS UG – Portland, Apr 23
MS SQLS UG – Silicon Valley, Feb 17
MS SQLS UG – SF, Feb 11
DB Mirroring Benchmark: 2005 vs. 2008
Overall send rate 41 % faster (2005 vs. 2008)
Overall restore rate 52% faster (2005 vs. 2008)
Overall availability topology inherits
the restore rate ~ 50% more available
• 743 ms Transaction (in 2005 mirroring configuration)
• 379 ms Transaction (in 2008 mirroring configuration)
In failover, what would have been 20 seconds
before mirror becomes principal turns into roughly
8-10 seconds (or 3 seconds turns into 1.5
seconds, so on).
DB Mirroring Benchmark 2008: SSD
Overall send rate 26 % faster (2008 Conventional versus SSD)
Overall restore rate 17% faster (2008 Conventional versus SSD)
Overall db mirroring topology garners ~ 20% more availability
10 min 17 seconds to complete
• 4:32:37am 4:43:00am (principal send’s)
• 4:32:48 am 4:43:05am (mirror restore’s)
8 min 38 seconds to complete
• 3:45:19am 3:53:20am (principal send’s)
• 3:45:20am 3:53:20am (mirror restore’s)
100% Transparent (zero DB & application changes) !
Our past and current customers
• Healthcare: • High Tech Industry:
• AGIS Network • Apple Computers
• Breg International • Applied Materials
• Visa International
• Juniper Networks
• Bank of America
• Charles Schwab
• Silicon Graphics
• Merrill Lynch
• Robert Half
• Symantec Corporation
• Wells Fargo
• Toshiba Computers
• Insurance: • Veritas
• Automotive Industry:
• Education: • Nissan Motors
• Aplia • Honda Motors
• Thomson Learning
• Retail: • PG&E
• Safeway Stores • Federal Express
And many others around the world
“Data by Design”
- Production Build/Implementation Initial assessment
- Project Planning
- Project Sizing
Transition Inception - Deliverables Identified
- High-Level Data needs
- Full Test/User Acceptance
- Full Integration/
- Detail Requirements
- Data details identified
- Dirty data/cleansing
- data integration identified
Code & Test Requirements/Prototyping
- Code Dev/Unit Testing - High-level requirements
- Database Coding - Prototyping
- Database Testing - Designs/integrations
Early Code & Test Design
- Early code and testing of integration/DB - Detail DB/Architecture Designs
- Heavy use of Data prototypes/profiling - Data Integration designs/architecture
Our data architects have done this for multi-billion
dollar companies such as Symantec, Veritas, SGI, and
Complete or subset data
architecture creation for
current and the future
architectures of any
• SGI – Quote to Collect – Data Architecture lead,
multi-dimensional OLAP, DW/BI Architecture, Data
• Veritas – Data Architecture, standards, movement
to data services/SOA, and data methodology
• Symantec – Data Architecture, Master Data
Management, Architecture Guiding Principles, Data
Standards, and SOA.
• Many others.
Optimized database design
and implementation of large
and small, simple and
complex database systems
• Microsoft SQL Server,
• and massively parallel database
architectures such as ParAccel,
Green Plum, Netezza, and others.
Working with the top database designers in the world.
• Charles Schwab – Performance and Tuning,
Database redesigns (Oracle/SQL Server)
• Intel Corporation – OLTP Marketing database
design, Performance and Tuning, Sales & Marketing
data warehouse (SQL Server)
• JDSU – Instrument test results data collection, data
replication, data warehouse (Oracle/SQL Server)
• Toshiba – Demand Planning OLAP multi-
dimensional cube design, data integration
• Author of Sybase’s “Physical Database Design”
methodology and courseware.
Data Modeling & Data Analysis
Capturing even the most
complex data requirements
into well defined and robust
data models coupled with full
data analysis and validation
of all objects/entities.
A few of our data modelers
apprenticed under the
originator of data modeling
(Dr. Peter Chen – father of
• Intel Corporation – Data modeling/data analysis
sales and marketing
• Sony Corporation – Data modeling/Object models
for geospatial and mapping technologies
• AGIS – Full Logical data models/physical data
models of health provider
• Lnx Research – Entity/Relationship Models/Behavior
models for researcher/provider/ratings
• PG&E – Complex Entity/Relationship models of
there financial data/revenue systems.
• Many others.
Database & SQL
Performance and Tuning
performance and tuning
tools coupled with the
deepest Performance and
Tuning experts on most
major database platforms.
Database tuning, indexing
• Intel Corporation – VLDB database performance
• Metalincs – Database and SQL tuning (SQL Server)
• Channel Corporation – Oracle Database & PL/SQL
Performance and Tuning.
• Charles Schwab – Database and SQL Performance
and Tuning (Sybase and SQL Server).
• Author of Sybase’s “Performance and Tuning”
• SQL Server Unleashed – Performance and Tuning
Distributed Data & Data Replication
Our experts excel in multi-
site distributed solutions
and design using various
technology solutions from
replication, to mirroring, to
Mitigating architectures and
• JDSU – heterogeneous data replication (SQL Server
• AMD – Master/Master symmetric replication (Oracle)
• Intel Corporation – Central Publisher/Subscriber
(SQL Server Replication)
• Symantec Corporation – Central Publisher
/Subscriber (SQL Server Replication)
• Many others.
Using a proven step-by-step methodology, helping in:
• Leveraging your existing IT architecture and investments.
• Reengineering, Consolidating, and redesigning your data architecture to
better use what you have.
• Optimizing your entire database layer for performance, stability, and
• Reducing your IT expenses and putting off those planned server and
• Focusing on enabling you to better serve your internal and external
Data Integration & Transformation
Decades of ETL, EAI and
other data integration
solutions for data migration,
data warehouse, data
marts, and data
• JDSU – Data transformation Services/SQL Server
• Intel Corporation – Data Transformation
• Sony Corporation – SSIS/SQL Server
• SGI – Informatica/SQL Server/Oracle
• Many others.
Data Warehouse &
Using most major DBMS
offerings from Microsoft,
Oracle, IBM and others.
• Intel Corporation – Sales and Marketing DW/BI
• Toshiba Corporation – Multi-dimensional OLAP
demand planning and Forecasting
• Apple Computers – Multi-dimensional OLAP
demand planning and Forecasting, supply chain
• Cisco Systems – Attach Rate forecasting, Multi-
dimensional OLAP cube demand planning and
• PG&E – Financial and Management DW (revenue).
• Many others.
Database High Availability
Five-9’s at the database tier via
many different solutions,
architectures, and technologies.
Our consultants live by the mantra
of “continuous uptime”.
We feature a high availability
“assessment” for anyone serious
about High Availability.
Master Data Management
Core data categories
such as customer data
and product data
cornerstone of this
A specialized MDM
towards an optimal
MDM architecture and
solution is embodied in our delivery model for MDM.
Often taking advantage of hub and spoke architectures to
enable MDM for major organizations.
• Veritas Corporation – Customer Master Data
management (internal solution).
• Symantec Corporation – MDM solution (CDH
• Master Data Management methodology hybrid
developed in conjunction with Oracle MDM practice.
• MDM readiness assessment available that includes
data profiling and governance recommendations.
One of the forgotten elements of good data
management is metadata management.
Our consultants can help to implement a
robust metadata repository and
management framework to help you with:
• Impact analysis,
• Data integrity,
• and data quality across your IT landscape.
• Veritas – Internal metadata repository creation and
reporting (impact analysis, metadata definition and
• Symantec – formal metadata repository built using
System Architect (IBM). Used for impact analysis,
architecture reach, eDiscovery, and many others.
• Many others.
Disaster Recovery &
Full DR and BC assessment and
solution design for any
patterns form the popular
approaches we often recommend
Database Security & Compliance
Meeting global security
regulations such as PII,
and others are at the heart
of this offering.
Creating the most secure
framework and solutions
will vary according to your
needs and your industry
• Symantec Corporation – create/define enterprise
security policies and framework. Vulnerability testing
integration into the development life cycle. Data
• Many others.
Database Architechs has proven its ability to
optimize projects and to deliver programs
and results that exceed customers’
We bridge the gap between business needs
and technology capabilities.
We are also known for being able to build
excellent relationships at all levels of a
company, from the CEO to the staff.
We make your company’s initiatives a
success as we know how Project
Management Organizations (PMO’s) and
Project Management methodology work.
All of our project managers are PMI-certified.
Quality, Tests and Validation
Our technical teams possess a
deep understanding of current and
emerging technology issues and
have proven their ability to provide a
cost-effective and timely delivery
while maintaining the highest quality
standards of the industry.
We are defining test cases and test
criteria for Quality Assurance and
validate if every project’s
components before going
Database Education & Training
Offer several time tested and
exciting database courses such as:
• Multi-dimensional database design.
• SQL Programming,
• Logical Data Modeling and
• Performance and Tuning.
• Data Replication.
• Master Data Management ramp up.
Using our P&T Tools and a proven methodology, we are
extending our database-focused services:
• Available through a secured connection.
• Top database experts available as needed using a pool of hours.
• Remote Physical Database Design:
We have designed and deployed all kinds of systems, from
OLTP databases to Decision support systems (Data
warehouse, Business Intelligence and OLAP cube
technologies). Our intervention quite often involves using
advanced techniques such as data replication, clustering,
and database mirroring.
• Remote Performance and Tuning:
As part of any P&T engagement, we use a detailed
performance and tuning methodology that has been
developed over many years to offer predefined deliverables
that maximize the end-result of our customers.
Typically, our results include an improvement in database
throughput ranging from 100% to 750% as well as a massive
reduction in response times.
Database Performance & Tuning tools
• Designed and developed by the top DB experts.
• Highly “Graphic-Oriented” interactive design – drill-
down through the graphs!
• Easily isolate performance issues in seconds.
• Optimization strategies can be implemented and
• Safe “production” monitoring in real time.
• Performance counters utilized include OS level.
• Plug-and-play - no change to your IT architecture.
• Monitor, Isolate, Drill-down approach.
• Also runs in off-line mode with easy data export.
• Track Record – 10 years of SQL and Database
performance and tuning tools. Supported databases:
Sybase: SQL Supervision
Oracle: Database Tuning
MS SQL Server: SQL Shot
We are using Database Architechs' Performance and Tuning tools in all our production and
test environments. Thanks to these tools we can anticipate and fix any performance
Isolating and fixing performance issues is now 16 times faster (down from 2 days to 1
We can also log all the database performance metrics and information to isolate any past
performance issue and produce some monthly reports on specific metrics.
In addition, Database Architechs Performance and Tuning tools are helping us in
identifying users' behavior, anticipating the required tuning to optimize response time.
We are using Database Architechs' Performance and Tuning tools for the following:
1) Monitor applications' response time before moving to production.
2) Isolate poor performing SQL queries, stored procedures, triggers ... on production
Thanks to Database Architechs' Performance and Tuning tools we've been able to improve
SQL queries performances from few minutes to few seconds.
Database Architechs' Performance and Tuning tools has also helped us to isolate
performance issues during our database migration process.
I'm using Database Architechs' Performance and Tuning tools since several years.
I appreciate very much these tools for real-time database server monitoring.
I appreciate particularly:
- The GUI, to visualize and isolate any performance issue in seconds.
- How easy and fast it is, to install the tools and start monitoring any database server.
- The logging feature, to analyze past performance issues.
- The batch mode, to log performance metrics automatically based on events.
Database Architechs’ new Website
Leveraging our database
expertise our new
• Table-driven contents
allowing dynamic and real-
• A full and automatic
workflow for our P&T Tools
• Download the product.
• Request and get in few minutes
a free-trial license key.
• Buy and get in few minutes a
• Manage technical support
Feel free to ask questions.
Thank you for your time and participation.
Contact us at 415-944-8184