Idempotency is what allows us to manage a machine through its whole lifecycle
client/server, cert mgmt, etc.
* Every connection is encrypted, and the only connection that isn&#x2019;t authenticated is the one that asks for a signed cert * Client certs * Autosign, manual sign, manual certificate generation * You don&#x2019;t even have to use it
This uses the same model as the rest of puppet -- it chooses the appropriate provider for the local system. You can edit resources, and it even works over the network.
* The assembly programmers fought the adoption of C * Fear for your career if you&#x2019;re a bit too fond of assembly * It&#x2019;s not about fewer people, it&#x2019;s about higher quality and productivity * Are there more or fewer programmers today than in the days of assembly?
These are house finches, reminding one of the finches Darwin observed in the Galapagos. I want to cause sysadmin speciation.
Firefighter? Architect? Developer? Tape-changer? All of the above?
Do you have any computers?
This is shareable, releasable code. Classes are analogous with tags
We&#x2019;re doing the same thing with different commands on different platforms
And you don&#x2019;t even need to centralize it.
This is all I do
Puppet talk at OSCON 2010.
Puppet: the Why
Puppet is a system for
centrally specifying and
• 29 package types
• Users in NetInfo, useradd, pw
• Support for Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Solaris,
OS X, Gentoo, SuSE, FreeBSD, and more
• Windows support was announced this
Image from http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/jurvetson/480227362/sizes/l/