Digital video for language learning: from playback to play on!
Digital video: from playback to
Principal Teaching Fellow
School of Modern Languages and Cultures, University of Warwick
“bringing together current methodologies,
ideas and innovative practices to teach and
learn languages using digital video”
• Transcoding, bit rates, file types, delivery
• Access, ERA+ compliance
• Inclusivity, contribution, creativity
• Analytics, usage data
8 Key questions you need to ask about video creation tools:
• Does the video tool generate a file I can download?
• What is the file type?
• Where can I host it online?
• What copyright rules apply to this content?
• How can I observe them?
• How do I assert my ownership of my own creations?
• How can I re-use or repurpose my video?
• What networks exist for video creation and language teaching?
• Video for story telling
• Video for researching cultures
• Video for capturing an event
• Video for assessment
Thank you for participating today.
The course area will remain open so please feel free to use the facilities and continue to connect.
You can support the Video for All project by:
• Using the #videoforall on twitter
• Contributing to the Facebook page
• Connecting with our Associate partners such as FILTA (Film in Language Teaching Association)
• Contact me:
@warwicklanguage on twitter