THREE HURRAHS FOR
Finding a business model
amidst all the hype
WHO AM I?
• Ted Mann — firstname.lastname@example.org / @turkeymonkey
• Digital Development Director for Gannett NJ
• Manage ﬁve core newspaper sites and ﬁve sister sites in NJ
• Obsessed with open source
• Which local media organization is currently hiring 55 positions,
including reporters and editors?
• What is the total estimated potential revenue in the hyperlocal
space? $13 Billion
• What is the one area where Gannett’s New Jersey newspapers --
e.g. Courier-Post, Asbury Park Press, The Daily Journal -- are
expanding local news coverage?
• Where can journalism students edit and publish directly to the
New York Times website?
WHAT IS HYPERLOCAL?
• News or content pertaining to a town or small community.
involves collaboration between veteran journalists and
community members or citizen journalists.
Hyperlocal Not Hyperlocal
LOTS OF DIFFERENT MODELS
• Full-time journalists
• Pro-Am (hybrid)
“JARVIS” BUSINESS MODEL
• Assumptions: $3-$15k startup; 20-60k population