What is SEO?
From Wikipedia –
“Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of
affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in
a search engine's "natural" or un-paid ("organic")
• Good for short term
• Relatively Costly for most
• Traffic becomes NIL when
the campaign is stopped
• Used by business with huge
advertisement budget and
higher margin products
• Good for long term
• Relatively cheaper than PPC
for medium/easy keywords
• Traffic comes even after SEO
campaign is stopped.
• Mostly used for business
which have either less
competition and/or low
Types of SEO
• WhiteHat SEO – following Google’s guidelines to
improve the ranking of website.
• BlackHat SEO – trying to manipulate Google’s
algorithm to rank for difficult keywords faster and
easier than WhiteHat SEO.
Some important terms
• Organic Results
• Domain Authority & Page Authority
• Keyword Density
• A search engine results page (SERP), is the listing of web pages
returned by a search engine in response to a keyword query.
• Better SERP usually means better results
• Terms having higher positions get more clicks than ones on
• Very few people tend to visit after first 2 pages for any search
• PageRank is a link analysis algorithm, named after Larry Page
and used by the Google web search engine.
• A better pagerank means a better trust by search engine
towards your webpage.
• Basically controlled by number of backlinks to the webpage.
Pagerank of a webpage is different than pagerank of a
• Backlink is any link received by a web node (web
page, directory, website, or top level domain) from
another web node.
• The number of backlinks is one indication of the
popularity or importance of that website or page.
• PageRank is determined by number of backlinks a site
• Backlinks are like a vote. A good vote helps in better SEO
while a bad vote can harm rankings
OBL/ Dofollow/ Nofollow
• OBL stands for OutBond Links. It means number of
external pages that the webpage links.
• Dofollow are normal ahref links if not explicitly
mentioned. Dofollow links pass the PR juice to the link. It
is similar to you vouching for the site.
• Nofollow are links that contain rel=”nofollow” attribute
in ahref link. This is similar to letting search engine
spiders know that you can not vouch for authenticity of
Domain Authority & Page Authority
• Domain Authority: Domain Authority is calculated
metric for how well a given domain is likely to rank in
Google.com's search results. It is scored out of 100.
• Page Authority: A score out of 100-points
representing the likelihood for arbitrary content to
rank on this page.
• Sandbox is condition when
a site does not appear in
top 1000 results in
• It is an attempt by Google
to counter manipulation
of SERP rankings by using
non recommended ways
of backlinking (also called
• Keyword density is the percentage of times a
keyword or phrase appears on a web page compared
to the total number of words on the page.
• In SEO, keyword density can be used as a factor in
determining whether a web page is relevant to a
specified keyword or keyword phrase.
• Ideally main keyword density should not be more
than 7-10% to avoid over optimization penalty.
• A site map displays the inner framework and
organization of your site's content to the search
engines and the user.
• Helps in easy navigation through the site.
• For Users – HTML sitemap
• For bots – XML sitemaps