Temptation Remaining Christian In A Digital
The Ocean Of
• We live, move and have our existence in a
highly digital culture.
• Technology is the ocean in which we either
sink or swim!
• Technology is NEVER neutral it is always
shaping us in some way. Technology can build
us up and help us, or it can tear us down and
Being In The Light
• Do not be conformed to this world, but be
transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by
testing you may discern what is the will of God, what
is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
• For at one time you were darkness, but now you are
light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the
fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and
true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
• Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray that you enter not into
temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
• James 1:13-15 Let no one being tempted say, I am tempted from
God. For God is not tempted by evils, and He tempts no one. (14)
But each one is tempted by his lusts, being drawn away and
seduced by them. (15) Then when lust has conceived, it brings
forth sin. And sin, when it is fully formed, brings forth death.
• 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has taken you but what is
common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be
tempted above what you are able, but with the temptation also
will make a way to escape, so that you may be able to bear it.
• Allurement or inducement to sin
e.g Satan’s tempting of Adam and Eve,
deception, trickery, etc.
• Severe trials that can break one’s spirit
and cause one to give up on God.
• In this talk we will be totally concerned
with the first kind of temptation
“allurement or inducement to sin”
• Facebook Gossip
• Attention Seeking
• Arguing / “Flaming”
• Supercilious Pride
• Technological Shaming of Others
• Spamming Others
Sins Of The Mind and Spirit
• Deceptive and False Theology
• Bible Wars
• New Age
• Following YouTube “Gurus”
• Getting Over-Involved In Fantasy Worlds
• Violent Gaming
• Conspiracy Theories (Isaiah 8:9-15)
• Too Much Politics
• Quack Medicine
• Constantly Researching “Rabbit Trails”
• Sexting / Snapchat
• Inappropriate Online Relationships
• Seduction Games / In-Game Erotica
Thou Shalt Not Steal
• Software Piracy
• Blatant Copyright Infringement
• Cheating On School Assignments
• Be Prayerful , Have A Daily Quiet Time
• Seek Discernment, Be Cautious, Be Scriptural
• Have A Clear and Honorable Christian Identity
• Trust God And The Bible, Not The Devil And YouTube
• Quench The Flesh By Walking In The Spirit (Galatians 5:16)
• Remove The Offending Limb (Pull The Plug..)
Real World Rewards
• People get involved with virtual worlds because the real world
is disappointing, overwhelming or unrewarding in some way.
• Virtual rewards are like eating McDonalds. Immediate and
basic. Nobody prefers McD to home cooking unless the home
environment is unsafe or is emotionally hostile.
• Kids go into games because they are cool, there is no ridicule
and because they can achieve some success there.
• Women go into 50 Shades of Grey, soap operas and Mommy
porn for virtual “attention” from a socially significant male.
• Men go into online porn for excitement, to restore their egos
and because they are bored, angry and frustrated.
• Create even the most basic “real world rewards” and the vast
majority of people will quickly abandon the virtual world.
• In God We Trust, Everyone Else We Verify
• If Only A Stupid Person Would Do It…
Then Don’t Do It!
• Be Aware of Which Moods Lead You Into Trouble
• Take Responsibility and Nurture Self-Respect
• Impulse Control / Pause Before Sending or Clicking
• Have A Dozen Or So Totally Safe Sites That You Visit
• Don’t Go To “Marginal” Websites That Are Just One
Click Away From Disaster.
• Have A Clear Purpose For Being Online
• Enforce Time Limits
• Install Filtering/ Blocking Software
• Install AdBlock Plus to get rid of tempting ads
• Accountability / Computer Placement/ Family Rules
• Have Strong Passwords and Good Security Practices
• If Kids View Porn On Their Phones Replace The iPhone
With An Older Dumb Phone
• Windows Parental Controls (in Media Center)
• Windows Live Family Safety
• K9 Web Protection, free, for Windows, Mac and Android
• X3 Watch https://x3watch.com/ from xxxchurch.com
• Norton Safety Minder
• Covenant Eyes (accountability)
• Gmail – has the best spam filter
• AdBlock Plus – stops tempting adverts in FB
• Decide That You Are Going To Be Godly
• Decide That You Are NOT A Sucker
• Decide That You Are Going To Make Smart Choices
• Decide That It’s Worth Dealing With!
• Decide To Say “No” To Some Friend Requests
• Decide To Value Your Time
• John Edmiston (CEO)