Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Group 3 Mobile Learning Presentation

474 views

Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Group 3 Mobile Learning Presentation

  1. 1. Mobile Learning: Is technology always better?<br />Group 3:<br />Trish Carlson, Julie Howe, Heather Mayernik, Craig McMichael, <br />John Phillips<br />CEP 810-733 <br />
  2. 2. A cell phone is a telecommunication device that emits a signal through…<br /><ul><li>Vibrations
  3. 3. An audible signal
  4. 4. A visual display of a message (Aldine 2007)</li></ul>What is a Cell Phone?<br />
  5. 5. According to recent survey by US News and World Report, a whopping one-third of teens use a cell phone to cheat in school (2009). <br />So, how are students able to use a cell phone to cheat?<br />By taking/sending pictures of exam questions or answers<br />By sending and accessing text and SMS messaging<br />By accessing websites and URL’s<br />Cell Phones: A Tool for Cheating<br />
  6. 6.
  7. 7. Sexting<br /><ul><li>Sending sexually explicit photos is distribution of child pornography and it is a felony.</li></li></ul><li>Cyber Bullying with Texting<br /><ul><li>Cyber bullying via the cell phone.
  8. 8. A tech savvy teen could send a flaming text message to someone across the room or building in a matter of seconds and the teacher would never know what happened.</li></li></ul><li>im not lol r u<br />“The text message writing style aims at getting as much said with as few words as possible… The shorthand style is not suitable in formal or classroom writing, and the fact that it is becoming students' primary form of writing is a serious problem.”<br />Text Speak<br />
  9. 9. Not all students own a cell phone<br />A study by Pew Research showed that 85% of married households have multiple cell phones, though only 57% of children in these families owned a cell phone.<br />Socio-economic factors also contribute to students not having cell phones. <br />Cell Phone Accessibility<br />
  10. 10. Another study suggests that 75% of teenagers have a cell phone, but what about the other 25%?<br />Lack of cell phones can lead to jealousy, and an increased theft rate.<br />Cell Phone Accessibility (cont.)<br />
  11. 11. All cell phones are not created equally.<br />Many bloggers who have posted on the topic of cell phone use have suggested applications that require students to have a more advanced phone.<br />Cell Phone Accessibility (cont.)<br />
  12. 12. Cell Phones: <br />A Distraction in the Classroom <br />Types of Distractions<br />The “rude” distraction <br />The “covert” distraction<br />Student Appeal<br />One Student’s Advice<br />
  13. 13. Solution<br />2) The “real world” solution<br />1) The “perfect world” solution<br />
  14. 14. What About the Teachers <br />Do they know enough?<br />
  15. 15. “Tech savvy teachers are asking students to use their phones to record foreign language assignments, take photographs for projects and do mini-Internet searches if they have a Web browser.”<br />What is wrong with this?<br />
  16. 16. Most Teachers Today Grew Up Using This Phone.<br />Ring Ring<br />
  17. 17. Every phone is different. Where will teachers learn about the many different kinds of cell phones? <br />Technology will always be advancing. <br />Teachers are not ready for this. <br />Cell Phone Lesson Plans! <br />
  18. 18. There is too much of a divide between what a student wants<br /> to do and what the teacher needs to teach. <br />"My smmrholswr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kids FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc."<br />
  19. 19. Do teachers really have to learn this foreign texting language to teach with cell phones. <br />Cell Phones are not worth it.<br />
  20. 20. Cell phones are not a useful technology to use in the classroom.<br />Too many issues still arise such as:<br />Cheating<br />Cyber Bullying<br />Sexting<br />Accessibility<br />The Distraction of a phone<br />Text Speak<br />Lack of teacher resources<br />Keep the cell phones at home! <br />Conclusion<br />

×