Word SearchN U T R I T I O N CB U F O O D S S A AC M T J D G O L E LE N E R G Y C D T OR G C B I I P W O RI K G A U E N O R IK L I M F Y N A M ER I C E D I E T I S
What is it? nutrition nutrition foodWhat is it like? diet calories nutrients rice eggs milk energy iron calcium What are some examples ?
Healthy Eating Guidelines• Eat a variety of foods everyday Choosing and eating a variety of foods each day is important in building a healthy body.• Consume fish, lean meat, poultry or dried beans
Eating these will give youprotein, vitamin B, iron andzinc. These foods may containhigh level of fats but choosinglean meat and poultry withoutskin and limiting the egg yolks,nuts and seeds you consume canhelp limit fat intake.
• Eat more vegetables, fruits, and root crops Vegetables and fruits are rich in vitamins and minerals and some are high in fiber. Eating a variety of this group will help you prevent chronic diseases and will keep you healthy.
• Eat foods cooked in edible/ cooking oil in your daily meals Eating foods cooked in edible/cooking oil daily to prevent chronic energy deficiency. Fats and oils are also essential for absorption and utilization of fat-soluble vitamins, such as vitamin A.
• Consume milk, milk products and other calcium-rich foods such as small fish and dark leafy vegetables These are good source of protein and calcium however, small fish are high in uric acid and should be eaten in small amount specially by adults.
• Use iodized salt, but avoid excessive intake of salty food. The iodine in iodized salt prevent thyroid enlargement or goiter. Consuming less salt can reduce your chances of developing high blood pressure or can decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease.
• Eat clean and safe food It is always important to handle and prepare food safely by observing cleanliness. Wash hands and use clean utensils in preparing and cooking food.
• For healthy lifestyle and good nutrition, exercise regularly, do not smoke and avoid drinking alcoholic beverages. Following this will give you a healthier life.
Daily Food Diet Check Directions : List down all thefood and drink you had atbreakfast, snacks, lunch, anddinner yesterday. Indicate alsowhere you ate your meal in thecolumn for source.
Meals Foods eaten Source: Eaten at home/fast food/othersBreakfastSnacksLunchSnacksDinner
Check your list if you followedthe nutritional guidelines forbalanced and safe diet. Answer the following questions: 1. Did you eat meals regularly? 2. What did you discover about the food you eat?
3. Where do you usually eat your meals?4. Were you able to follow most of the nutritional guidelines?5. Which guidelines were you not able to follow?6. What do you plan to do now?7. Will it help? How?
Check Your Nutrition Life SkillsDirections : Write Yes if youpractice the life skill and No ifyou do not practice. Be honestwith your responses. Write youranswer on the space before eachlife skill.
I follow a balanced diet.I maintain a healthful weight.I eat healthful diet and snacks.I eat the correct servings from theFood Guide Pyramid.I follow nutritional guidelines tokeep me healthy and safe.
How many did you check? If youhave five checks, it means you arereally following good nutritionhabits. If you did not check some ofthe items, you need to review yourhabits and practices related tonutrition. Your health may sufferlater if you continue to have poorfood choices and poor eating habits.
How many did you check? Ifyou have five checks, it meansyou are really following goodnutrition habits. If you did notcheck some of the items, youneed to review your habits andpractices related to nutrition.Your health may suffer later ifyou continue to have poor foodchoices and poor eating habits.
Let’s Advocate Healthy Eating! Directions: Prepare an advocacymaterial like poster/slogan/poem/song/rap to send a messageabout eating the requiredamount of vegetables, fruits andmilk daily . Create a group for
your presentation of youradvocacy materials to the class orhave an exhibit of all youroutputs.Your presentation will be assessedbased on the following criteria:• Clarity of the message• Correctness of information• Message impact
Sum Up Complete the followingunfinished statement:1. I discovered that my eating habit is _____________________.2. I am aware that ____________.3. As an adolescent I need to eat ____________________________.
4. I will encourage my family and friends to eat ___________.5. From now on I will __________ ____________________________.
Food group LESSON 2 Food Pyramid Guideof Serving size Number servings dailyBreads / Starches: o 1 muffin 5 to 10 servings o 2 slices bread o 1/2 cup cooked cereal, pasta, potatoes , or rice
Breads / Starches: o 1 ounce 5 to 10 servings or 3/4 cup dry cereal o 4 pcs. pan de sal o 1 small size root crop o 1 pack instant noodles
Fruits o 1/2 cup 2 to 3 servings canned fruit or fruit juice o 1 piece freshfruit, such as an apple, orange, banana o 15 to 20 grapes o 1-1/2 cups fresh melon
Meat / Meat o 1/2 cup 3 to 5 servingsSubstitutes cottage cheese o 3/4 to 1 cup cooked dried beans or legumes o 1 egg o 1 ounce low- fat or regular cheese
Meat / Meat o 2 to 3 ounces 3 to 5 servingsSubstitutes meat, fish, or poultry o 2 to 3 Tbsps. peanut butter o 1/2 cup nuts
Milk or Yogurt 1 cup low- 4 to 5 servings fat milk or yogurt one ounce of cheese 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
Vegetables o 1/2 cup 2 to 3 servings cooked or 1 cup raw vegetable o 2 cups salad greens o 1 cup vegetable or tomato juice
Sweets and 1/8 of a pie 1 to 3Desserts 1/2 cup ice cream servings 3-inch pastry per week 1/2 cup pudding, 2 small cookies. Too much sweets and dessert can aggravate skin problem like pimples.
Water and 6 - 8 glassesBeverages (240 ml each)
Am I Eating the Right Food?Directions: List all the foods and drinks youeat the whole day. List them in the spacebelow. Check the column of food groupwhere each food belongs.List of Fats, oil,& Milk and Meat, Vegetable Fruit Bread,foods sweets milk poultry, group group cereal, product dry beans, rice, and group eggs, and rice nuts group product. Root crops group
List Fats, Milk Meat, Vege- Fruit Bread,of oil,& and poultry, table group cereal,foods sweets milk dry group rice, product beans, and group eggs, rice and product nuts . Root group crops group
Based from your list, answer thefollowing questions:1. What do you observe about your food intake?2. Which food group do you have most in your list?3. Which food group do you have less in your list?
4. Why did you choose those foods?5. Do you take the needed serving each day?
Canteen VisitDirections : Visit your schoolcanteen and observe thestudents taking their lunch orsnacks. List the foods beingserved to the students in yourschool canteen. Check from theFood Pyramid Guide the foodsyou listed.
Answer the following questions:• In what food groups most of the foods belong?• Do they serve nutritious foods?• Are the foods appropriate to students‟ dietary need?• What foods do students mostly buy?
• Do students eat hurriedly?• Are they choosy in selecting their lunch/snacks?• Do they serve less nutritious food such as chips, carbonated beverages, “artificial” fruit juices?
Write your observation/recommendation by finishing thefollowing:Our school canteen _____________Most of the students eat _________I suggest that our school canteen____________________________I recommend that students____________________________
My Healthy MealDirections : Prepare a healthymenu for your breakfast, lunch,snacks, and dinner. Follow theFood Guide Pyramid for teens inpreparing your meals. Be sure toinclude foods from all the foodgroups in the Food Guide Pyramid.
Sum Up Using a graphic organizer,connect the following concepts tomake meaning and to sum upthe lesson or you can write aparagraph using the words/phrases below to summarize thelesson.
Enrichment Activity A Healthful DietDirections: Choose foods fromthe Food Pyramid Guide. Showwhat kinds of foods you needevery day and the number ofservings you need from each foodgroup.
(40 points)1. Cut out pictures of different kinds of foods. Show the correct number of servings you need from each food group. For example cut out six to eleven pictures of foods from the bread, cereals, rice, root crops, and noodles group.
(20 points)2. Draw a big paper plate on construction paper. Paste the cut outs foods on the plate.(20 points)3. Write one way your body uses food from each food group.(20 points)4. Use correct grammar.(100points) 5. Total points
LESSON 3 Eating DisordersCheck Your Eating BehaviorDirections: Put a check beforeeach number if the behaviorrelates to you and put an X ifnot.1. I eat secretly inside my room.
2. I eat even if I am full when I see food.3. I usually eat hurriedly in large amount.4. I feel out of control when you‟re eating.5. I feel ashamed and disgusted after eating.
6. I hide and stock food to eat later in secret.7. I feel relieve from stress or tension when eating.8. I never feel satisfied, no matter how much I eat.
9. I eat normally with others but overeat when alone.10. I eat continuously throughout the day, with no planned mealtimes.
Answer the following questions:• How many did you check?• If you have checked all or some of the items above, what eating disorder do you have?
Content Standard: The learner demonstratesunderstanding of nutrition for ahealthy life.Performance Standard: The learner makes informdecisions in the choice of food toeat.