Vision of the Department of Tourism in SA
What is Tourism?
Who is a Tourist?
Types of Tourism.
Tourism in South Africa.
Impacts of Tourism on the world
Kinds of jobs created from Tourism
How to market Tourism
Benefits of tourism to South Africa
How to use Technology for Tourism
How to develop Tourism in South Africa
TOURISM IN SOUTH AFRICA
• Vision of the Department of Tourism in SA
• A prosperous and equitable society living in
harmony with our natural resources.
• Tourism is one of the most important sectors in
South Africa's economy.
WHAT IS TOURISM?
• Tourism is travel for recreational, leisure or
• Tourism is an activity that connects one to other
cultures and ways of life.
WHO IS A TOURIST?
• Tourists: are people traveling to and staying in places outside their usual
environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business
and other purposes.
TYPES OF TOURISM
• Cultural Tourism: this type of tourism looks at the tourists desire to
experience different cultures outside of their living environment
• Archaeological Tourism: this type of tourism looks at the historical aspect
of finding out what happened during the times when homosapiens existed,
this is because the tourists have interest in the archaeological knowledge
• Religious Tourism: religious tourism is all about religion and the impact it
has on society, people travel to places in the hopes of being spiritually
fulfilled and religious tourism plays a role in that
TYPES OF TOURISM
• Educational Tourism: this type of tourism refers to tourists coming in from
other countries because they are here to do research.
• Adventurous Tourism: this type of tourism refers to tourists who come to a
country for those tourism activities that give them an adrenalin rush.
• Medical Tourism: this type of tourism refers to people coming in from their
different countries for surgical procedures and they often then book into a
special lodge dedicated to taking care of such tourists.
IMPACTS OF TOURISM
ON THE WORLD
• Tourism has both positive and negative impacts on the world. The positive
often outweighs the negative.
• Positive impacts of Tourism
Encourages a mix of culture
Opens up the tourist to the way of life in other places
• Tourism’s direct and indirect contribution to the country’s gross
domestic product (GDP) grew by 2.7% to R198.4 billion compared
• South Africa recorded growth in foreign arrivals of 3.6%, with a total
of more than 9.9 million foreign arrivals to the country, compared to
about 9.6 million in 2008.
THE TYPES OF JOBS
CREATED BY TOURISM
• Formal- these are jobs were you have receptionists and
hotel managers, chefs, caretakers, tour guides,
• Informal- these are the kinds of jobs where people
make artifacts to sell to tourists, these people are
known as crafters.
• Unskilled- unskilled jobs in Tourism refer to jobs that do
not require training, e.g. a street smart photographer
who does not work for any company
• The total foreign direct spend in 2009 grew by 7% from R79.4 billion in
• We see that from 2008 Tourism has impacted positively on the economy of