What Happens at a Landfill?
Walker Visits Grady Rd. Landfill
1. What types of waste are diverted
to this landfill?
• MSW (Municipal Solid Waste)-85%
• C&D (Construction and Demolition) -10%
• Special Waste-5% (ex: industrial car stuffing,
not MSW but not hazardous)
• NO HAZARDOUS MATERIAL
2. What are the primary sources of
waste for this landfill
• Construction sites
3. How much waste do you receive on
a given day?
• Medium-sized land fill (60acres)
• 27,000,000 cubic ft. of airspace
• 180 tons from POLK, 1200 tons/day
4. Is the waste separated in the
• Not at Grady
• Some other landfills separate between
different types of waste from different sources
– Yard waste
5. What are the different jobs and
equipment used to process the waste
at the landfill?
• Evacuators – clear out waste from dropping
• Compactors – increase space
• Bulldozers – transport waste
6. What is the basic structure of this
• Phase 1
– Double cover
• Phase 2
– Double cover
• No chemicals to promote composition needed
7. What steps do you take to prevent erosion,
run-off from heavy rains, or the spreading of
pathogens, and the subsequent contamination
of the surrounding area?
• Use liners
• test the runoff for lichgate seeping through
8. What water monitoring test do you
conduct on the lechate (biological oxygen
demand, pH, temperature, pressure,
moisture content, movement of fluids)?
• Groundwater wells
• consultants take samples to lab and test every
9. Do you collect the methane and
recycle it for energy?
• Not yet
• 2012 – methane collection devices being