Traditional and untraditional research for the A Level Extended project
Traditional and untraditional research methods
for the A level Extended Project
Learning Technologist and SCORE Research Fellow
For Queen Elizabeth I College EPQ seminar 2 July 2014
Photo by slimlibrary on Flickr
What will we talk about?
• Go to the libraries
• Is Google evil?
• What’s ‘good’ online info?
• Excellent online ‘libraries’
• How to reference YouTube,
iTunes U, Flickr
• Online surveys and
Photo by Ed Yourdon on Flickr
University of Leicester Library/Public library
• Only print books
• Open late!
• Public libraries
• eBooks at public libraries!
University of Leicester DWL on Flickr
Wikipedia: good or bad?
References at the end of articles are handy!
The truth about Google
• Google is a business, not a service
• When you Google something, the results are
different from when your friend Googles it
• Examine the website carefully
Websites can have excellent information
• Consider the motive of the writer
• Look at the small print
• ‘Peer reviewed‘
• ‘Primary source’
• Examine the motivation for writing
• Examine who paid for it
• Educational authorities
• BBC, Government