Started travelling in India 10 years ago, and
blogging on Travelblog.org
Launched Breathedreamgo 6 years ago as an India-
focused, female solo travel blog
Have spent more than 2 years in country
Breathedreamgo is one of the leading travel blogs
Now live in Delhi in winter, and Canada in summer,
travel in both countries extensively
Breathedreamgo and INDIA
Overview of Blogging in Asia
The only constant is diversity.
India is home to thousands of bloggers and a world-
renown high-tech industry.
Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia have vibrant,
New Zealand and Australia are part of European,
China’s scene is completely unique.
Mariellen will present challenges & opportunities for
bloggers in India, plus a call to action.
Jade will present challenges & opportunities for bloggers
in Australia / NZ, plus a call to action.
Maggie will present challenges & opportunities for
bloggers in China, plus a call to action.
Followed by questions, answers, sharing ideas.
Challenges and Opportunities
1. Breaking out of the amateur pool, driven by
events and contests. Achieving professionalism in
terms of reputation and payment.
2. Countering India’s worldwide reputation as an
unsafe place for travellers, especially female
3. Finding encouragement, training, incentives and a
community for creating top quality, professional
4. Responsible tourism / sustainability concepts in
country of 1.2 billion
Challenges in India
1. Assignments, projects, books, etc., based on core
skill (eg writing, photography). Huge media in India.
2. Sponsored content
3. Fam trips with best tourism boards: Kerala,
Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Rajasthan
4. International fam trips
5. Hone niche, improve quality, reach out and ask for
what you’re worth
1. Recognize your worth as a skilled creator, and the
value of reaching Indian travellers
2. Say “no” to working for free, especially providing
content to a for-profit brand, company; help
educate the industry
3. Counteract the reputation of India as unsafe with
stories, videos, personal testimony
4. Choose to create quality content rather than look
for a quick buck, a contest entry, a viral post
5. Act professional, deliver promised materials
6. Foster supportive community among bloggers
Call to action
Pay the artist … writer … photographer … blogger …
Call to action