How to Work with Instagram Influencers to Create Effective Instagram Strategies- Katja Presnal
• Owner of Skimbaco Lifestyle online
• Author of “Instagram as your Guide to the
World – How, What and Who to Follow
and Search on Instagram to Help You
Travel The World”
• Addy Award Winning Social Media Strategist
• Worked with some of the largest consumer
brands and retailers in the world.
WORKED WITH/FEATURED IN
ABOVE ALL: A TRAVELER
@skimbaco on Twitter and on Instagram. Use #TBEX to tweet this session.
- Educate consumers how
to use Instagram for
travel planning and travel
- Educate Travel Bloggers
how to utilize Instagram
better and unite the travel
blogger community on
- Educate travel industry
how to work with travel
bloggers and influencers
WHY INSTAGRAM FOR TRAVEL
BRANDS & BLOGGERS?
1. Showcase yourself as an expert.
2. Engage with travel community.
3. Drive traffic to your website and ultimately
sales, whether you are “selling” content or
actual trips or destinations.
4. Showcase travel destination via images
giving people the reason why to visit.
5. Make connections in the travel industry
and form partnerships with each others.
COMMUNITY & DISCOVERY
• Community driven
• Discovery and passion
• For brands: finding
existing audience and
• New type of influencer
• Not always your
ENGAGE THE COMMUNITY
• User generated content is the best way to
“sell” your location or brand.
• Create your own hashtag, educate the
consumer to use it.
• Promote the content from community.
• Do it for fun of sharing, instead of as a
traditional marketing campaign (like a
• Work with travelers and bloggers on
WORK WITH INFLUENCERS
• Jump start/improve your Instagram
presence by working with Instagram
• Hire people to create content on your
account, theirs or combination.
• Create a “seed” campaign to
improve/provoke consumer action.
• Press/FAM trips with Instagram focus.
CREATE A FUN PROP LIKE THE FRAME IN MONTREAL
Photo: JustTravelous / Yvonne Zagermann
INTERACTIVE INSTAGRAM SCREEN IN THE HOTEL LOBBY
AT Le MERIDIEN BALI JIMBARAN
FEATURE CONTENT LIKE ICELANDAIR IN THE
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN AN
• Followers – focus in quality, not necessary
• Photo quality
• Influence beyond Instagram
• Target audience – does it match yours?
Will you gain new audience?
• Keep your Instagram strategy in mind.
HOW TO BUILD
• No one right way to create the strategy. Pick
• Goals: setting measurable goals across
• Your Instagram stream should reflect your
• User generated content vs. your own content.
• Instagram as a channel or a tool to distribute
• Internal or external team to manage it.
INSTAGRAM = YOUR BRAND
= YOUR STORY IN PICTURES