• Loading standards as per I.S & guidelines for
the preparation of structural layout.
• Analysis, design & detailing of G+3 RC
framed building for residential & commercial
Purpose with ductile detailing.
• Design & detailing of underground and
elevated water tanks of different c/s.
• Design & detailing of cantilever & counter fort
• Design of bolted / welded plate girder for
static and rolling loads.
• Structural layout & Designing of every
components of industrial building.
• Design of foot over bridge and structural
system of through and deck bridge.
• Design principles for tall steel structures like
transmission towers, chimney etc
Topics covered by ME
• Full Steel design –all chapters
• RCC design - Analysis, design & detailing of
G+3 RC framed building for residential &
commercial Purpose with ductile detailing.
• When to use truss girders..?
• Difference between Plate girder and Truss
• Types of Truss girders
• Components of Truss girder.
• Loads on Truss girder
• Applications of Foot over Bridge
When to use..??
• To carry main load
• When load is so large that can not be
economically bridged using plate girders
• If span is comparatively large.
• Continuous web
• Not continuous –
open web having
• Smaller spans up to
vertical and inclined
• Elevation is not
• Spans upto 30 and
• More cost
• Elevation is good.
• Less cost
Types of truss girders
• Through type
• Deck type
• Semi type/half through
The carriageway rests on the top of the main
load carrying members. In the deck type plate
girder bridge, the roadway or railway is placed
on the top flanges as shown and the cross
girders are supported by the trusses generally
at the panel points
Through type truss
• - The carriageway rests at the bottom level of
the main load carrying members. In the
through type plate girder bridge, the roadway
or railway is placed at the level of bottom
flanges. The bracing of the top flange or lateral
support of the top chord under compression is
Semi through type bridge
The deck lies in between the top and the bottom
of the main load carrying members. The
bracing of the top flange or top chord under
compression is not done and part of the load
carrying system project above the floor level
The lateral restraint in the system is obtained
usually by the U-frame action of the verticals
and cross beam acting together.
The weight of the truck (and bridge deck) is carried by the stringers into the floor beam and
then the floor beam carries this load to the truss at the node point (joint). The bottom chord
of the truss is not bent by the weight of the truck because the stringer is attached to the
floor beam and not the truss chord.
The following are the various loads to be considered for the purpose of
computing stresses, wherever they are applicable.
Forces due to curvature.
Forces on parapets
Frictional resistance of expansion bearings
Applications of Foot bridge
At railway station to