By Taufiq Hussien
Malaysian Islamic Study
Oct 30, 2010
Reality of the World
• Do we know how many religions are there in the
• Have we learned about any religions other than
• Did it ever occur red to us that other people are
not trying to understand our religion (Islam)?
• Have we ever talked about Islam with our
• Have we tried to reason with a non-Muslim about
our Islamic belief?
• Ever heard about Jainism? Rastafari?
How about Baha’i? Sikhism?
• What is the perception of Muslim if someone
learn about Budhism? Or Christianity?
• Reality check? Why did we have that thought?
• What kind of discussion? Heated or just fun-facts?
• Were you being defensive?
Comparison with major
• Islam and Christianity
• Islam and Buddhism
• Islam and Hinduism
• Islam and Judaism
• Comparison chart
New danger: Post
• A kind of philosophy that challenges the role of
• Denying the existence of an ultimate principle
(including – and especially religion)
• Relying on concrete experiences vs. abstract
• Example: male vs. female, straight vs. gay, white
vs. black etc.
• Key person: Heidegger, Derrida, Foucalt, Lyotard,
• Race refers to classifications of humans into
populations or groups based on various factors,
such as their culture, language, social practice or
Source: Encyclopedia Britannica Online
How do we respect other
races & religions?
• Let’s discuss