• Allotted for army officers before independence.
• Used as housing for federal govt. Employees after partition employed in
Pakistan secretariat and surrounding areas.
• Considered as a posh locality and preferred by govt. employees for
• Administrative hold was jointly managed by PAKISTAN ESTATE OFFICE and
PAKISTAN WORKS AND DEVELOPMENT (PWD).
• Allotted to grade 17 gazette officers on first come first serve basis .
• Illegal settlements started in early 1970’s and still they are living so with in
the vicinity of these quarters.
• Now, mixed communities are living here.
ATTRIBUTES OF THE
• Located at the golimar
intersection of lyari
• Near city center
• Connects out skirts of the city
to the city center through lyari
• Work place of Residents is
mostly in or near by the city
• Karachi zoo and agha khan
gymkhana act as breathing
spaces to the low rise high
density surrounding areas.
MIXED USE PARKS
• Land use is dominated by mixed land
• High variation in traffic
• Scarcity of open spaces results in a
high density area
• Nearby city center
• Area under observation is located at
an important intersection of the city.
Considered a posh neighborhood, with good social
atmosphere. Allocations were mostly made to grade
17 gazette and above officers on rental basis ON
FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS. Strict administrative
hold of PWD.
Slum settlement started around 1970’s, with female
workers working as lower staff in the households.
MID 1990’S and LATER:
Due to weak administrative powers of
PAKISTAN ESTATE OFFICE encroachment started to
grow and social and physical degradation started
which resulted in illegal empowerment.
Currently the administration is under the PWD but
political and social influences exists with in the walled
locality making the administration setup weak.
People from upper lower and lower middle class
inhabit the area with strong sense of community
INTRODUCTION AND INHABITING PATTERN OF
E TYPE(240 SQ.YD)
D TYPE(120 SQ.YD)
D TYPE HOUSING
• Due to lack of open spaces
with in the quarters we see a
sense of community
ownership of public spaces.
• Substandard housing with low
quality infrastructure and
encroachment can be seen .
E TYPE HOUSING:
• Lower middle class of govt.
Officers inhabit this area
• The area is well maintained with
personal open spaces in the
form of garden
• There is a sense of privacy with
in the locality and outsiders are
There are total 400 quarters, divided into 2 types D type(120sq.Yd) and E type(240 sq.Yd).
There are no commercial activities.
There is only one mosque, a small play ground and one shop with in the vicinity of it.
BUILT UP DENSITY
DENSITY AND IT’S EFFECT
Located in the city center the area is a high dense , mixed rise part of the city with
housing forms ranging from single unit housing to walkup apartments, which are
inhabited by masses working in the city center and belonging to mostly lower middle
The resulting densification has led to social and environmental degradation .
• Traffic problems resulting due to
• Commercial activities such as
mechanics, spilling out of the road
are the further source of
• It is near to the city center
• Basic amenities are available with
• No regular load shedding
BUILT UP AREA
• The area is a high
density low rise area
• The scheme is planned
on a grid iron pattern.
• Tertiary roads were blocked due to the
• Roads widths were squeezed due to
encroachment by residents or shopkeepers
• Low maintains of the roads turned them
into garbage dumps and made them
• Wide entrance road made the
vehicular traffic with in the colony
• The secondary access roads were
well maintained and were 30 feet
LOWER MIDDLE INCOME
UPPER MIDDLE INCOME
Mostly people living in the area come from low income to middle income bracket. Most
people residing in the encroached area and parts of the society are daily wage workers
which get greatly affected from the city situation.
Pwd was responsible for the
maintenance of sewerage,
electricity and water pipelines,
and even regular paintings on
the walls after every 3years.But
soon it lost its control, which is
the reason of today’s condition.
• WATER: regular water supply
• ELECTRICITY: occasional load
• SEWERAGE : unhygienic
sanitation condition in most
part of the locality
NISHTAR ROAD’S SECTION ( 60’ LENGTH OF THE ROAD)
SECONDARY ROAD (30’ LENGHT OF THE ROAD)
TERTIARY ROAD(10’ LENGTH OF THE ROAD)
• People started inhabiting the vacant land around the
locality in early 70’s as the were employed with in the
locality for house hold chores , hence people started
settling in the form of
LAND – PEOPLE – SHELTER – INFRASTRUCTURE
• These encroachment legalized in mid 90’s which resulted in
the road widths getting narrower .
• As the population in the city center increased the traffic
problems and environmental degradation also increase in
• LOCATED NEAR CITY
• KARACHI ZOO ACTS AS A
• LIYARI EXPRESSWAY
ADJACENT TO THE
OUTSKIRTS OF THE CITY TO
• RESIDENTIAL WALLED
LOCALITY WITH NO
OUTRSIDE (SECURD AREA).
• CONTRLLED BY PWD,
MAJORLY INHABITED BY
• Political influence
• Criminal activities in
parts of locality
adjacent to nallah.
• Sanitation problems
problems due to
• Over population of
the area due to
• Illegal selling of land
Due to the criminal activites and katchi abadies the encroachment is growing which
will result in the further degradation of social . Political and economic conditions.