Plan your networking
• diarise (do 2 functions monthly)
• what are my aims?
• who are my ideal connections?
• choose the type and group
• prepare an elevator speech
Know what you want - manage it
Identify and target groups and connections
which are relevant to your aims and capabilities
• what can I do for them?
• what can they do for me?
Which group for you?
• small talk : ice-breaking conversation
Connections that may lead to
First opportunities to identify and begin
to grow connections with other people
Are you afraid?
• common problem is fear - those who shy away
• they dread thought of having to carry on
conversations with people they don't know
• they are intimidated by the task of ﬁnding
something to talk about
Don’t be afraid
• it is important to stay on the top of the pop
culture and current events, latest issues and stories
in the news
• these are great ways to break the ice
• it will help you ﬁnd common ground with a
person you have never met before where you
don’t have too much in common
• tell me about your business
• who is you ideal client?
• what is your goal for next year?
• what is the most unique aspect of
what you do?
• what type of client is your least
proﬁtable and why?
• what is you biggest accomplishment
• how can I help you in your business?
Reasons to attend
• increase you visibility
• stay current on trends in your
• to learn from and to be motivated by
• to socialize
• to become connected to key
inﬂuencers in you industry
• to start relationships that will lead to
• strategic alliances
• joint ventures
• decide why you want to attend
• decide on the logistics
• take plenty of business cards
• have fewer, higher quality
• take along a few ice-breakers
• always make eye contact
• act like a host
• have fun
...and after the event
• follow up with a gift or call
• enter contact into your database
• make a note of what was interesting
• set up a meeting if there
is something to discuss
Run your own
• target a gap in the networking market
• Leverage word of mouth and social media
(create a LinkedIn group as a home base)
• charge for tickets (enough to cover costs)
...and more successful
• serve drink and food
• make it easy for people to start conversations
• provide value through a keynote speaker on a
topic of interest to everyone
• give everyone a chance to introduce themselves
• make food and drinks available after the talk
BCI Business Brokers
Tony Arena (Managing Director)
3/1 Alexander Street, Crows Nest, NSW, 2065
Phone: +61 2 9439 3399
Mobile: +61 411888148