The text is for 1-3
WELCOME TO PULAU SERIBU
Ready to relax and get rid of the hustle and bustle of the city?
Then come to PulauSeribu, a popular tourist destination for city folk.
Enjoy the beautiful beaches and cozy resorts and hotels. Swim in
crystal – clear water, ride banana boat, take snorkeling and do other
exciting water activities.
1. What does the text tell us about?
A. describe about pulauseribu
B. information about the beauty of PulauSeribu
C. visit and enjoy the beauty of PulauSeribu
D. tell the readers about PulauSeribu
2. PulauSeribu is a popular holiday destination for people from….
the rural area
3. “….and cozy resorts and …..”
The word “cozy” can be replaced by….
The text is for 4-7
The Hole Game
Two players, one marble per person, a hole on the ground,
a line to start from.
First, check whether the marbles are good or not and whether
they are in the same size.Then, dig a hole on the ground and draw a line in a fair
distance away from the hole.Next, each player carefully throws his or her
marble towards the hole. Finally The player whose marbles is the closest to
the hole tries to flick hisor her opponent’s marble into the hole. The person
who can flickthe both marbles ( his/hers and the opponent’s ) into the hole
He/She will keep both marbles.
4. What does the text tell us about ?
a. how to play the hole game
b. where the hole game is from
c. describe what the hole game is
d. the story of the hole game
5. How many steps are there in the instruction ?
6. “whether they are in the same size” .
What does the underline word refer to ?
a. two players
7. The person who can flick the both marbles…
What does the underline wordmean ?
Text for no 8-10
I heard that you were hospitalized. So sad to see you in bed. I wish you‟ll be better soon. May
you would be back to your spirit.
Your pen friend, Betty
8. The writer wrote the text to……
A. express her pleasure
C. go to the hospital
B. show her sickness
D. to express her sympathy
9. The card was sent because Nurul was……
10. “I wish you‟ll better soon” The underline word has the same meaning with...
A shark is a type of fish that lives in the sea. It is one of the largest sea creatures. There
are over 350 species. A shark is shaped like a torpedo. It has rough skin like sandpaper. Instead
of bones it has elastic cartilage which helps them to move easily. It can grow up to 8 meters.
Sharks are found in all oceans around the world. The type of shark found will depend on
the water‟s temperature. A shark has to keep moving when it is asleep because it will either sink
or suffocate. It has to keep moving because it needs to breathe through its gills to keep alive.
When sharks are hungry, they look for food. Different shark eat different food.
Harmless shark eat plankton but harmful sharks eat meat.
Sharks have up to forty two babies (which are called pups) at a time. When the pups are
born, they leavestraight away because the mother shark does not have teats. Some sharks have
their pups in different ways, some lay eggs while others have them alive. When they are born
they need to defend themselves because the have no one to help them.
11. What does the purpose of the text above ?
a. to retell about shark
b. to give information about shark
c. to tell how the shark look for food
d. to describe shark in general
12. What happens when a shark stops moving ?
a. shark will sleep
c. shark will drown
b. shark will breathe
d. Shark will alive
13. Which of the following statements is true according to the text ?
a. Sharks are only found in pasific oceans
b. They are more than three hundreds species
c. water temperaturedetermine the type ofshark
d. Sahrk have up to 40 babies
14. What is the main idea of the last paragraph?
a. When sharks are hungry, they look for food
b. A shark is a type of a fish that lives in the sea
c. Sharks are found in all oceans around the world
d. Sharks have up to forty two babies (pups) at a time
15. What is the synonym of the word shaped (paragraph one)?
Text for no 16-19
How To Operate An Electric Fan
Follow the ways below:
1. Plug the power cord into a wall outlet.
2. To make fan move sideways, push the pin on top of the motor.
3. To move it up or down, pull up the oscillating pin, then press the tilt adjustment knob.
4. To change the speed of the fan, press one of the switches at the bottom.
16. What is the purpose of the text above
a. to describe about how to operate an electric fan.
b. to retell how to operate an electric fan
c. to explain how to operate an electric fan
d. to tell how to make an electric fan
17. What should we do if we want to change the speed of the fan ?
a. push the pin on top of the motor
b. press the tilt adjustment knob
c. press one of the switches at the bottom
d. pull up the oscillating pin
18. “press one of the switches at the bottom”. What does the word switches mean ?
d. Wall outlet
19.‟ To move it up or down, pull up the oscillating pin...”.
What does the underline word refer to ?
a. the power cord
c. the pin
b. the motor
d. The fan
Text for no 20-21
Biggest Band Show “ Peterpan”
: Sunday, December 16
: o7.00 p.m – 10.00 p.m
: Parking Area Taman Impian Jaya Ancol
We present the famous singers:
Ticket: Rp 75.000,- / adult
Rp 50.000,- / child
For entrance tickets please call
Sinta : Ph. 4153288
April : Ph. 4155446
20. What does the passage tell us about ?
a. a band show
c. ticket sellers
b. entrance ticket
d. ticket price
21. There will be.... entertainers performing in the stage.
Text for no 22-26
Water is an important thing in our life. Creatures cannot live without water. We must
drink eight glasses of water a day. Everything we eat has water in it. Without water in our food,
we will die in about ten days. Without water, animals and plants will die too.
We are depended on water everyday. It can be used in many ways. We need water to
plant the seeds. We must take a bath twice a day. This activity also uses water. Mother cooks and
washes clothes also with water. In other word, water is always accompanies our life.
Sometimes, water is dangerous. It happen when there is too much water come. To control
water, we can build dams.There are several uses of dams. They can irrigate the rice field. Dams
can also prevent the flood. They run water to generators to supply electricity. It means that dams
are used for power-plant.
Because os so many uses of water in our life, we must keep it pure. We mustn‟t pollute it.
We must use water ecconomically.
22. What is the purpose of the text above ?
a.to tell how important of water
b. to describe about water in general
c. to give information about water
d. to explain about water
23. What will happen if there is too much water come ?
a. it can use to irrigate the rife field
b. it can use to generators to supply electricity
c. It will fill the dam with water
d. it will cause the flood everywhere
24. From the text we know that...
a. people are not depend on water
b. dams can‟t irrigate the rice field
c. dam can increase rice yields
d. people mustn‟t keep the water pure
25. What is the main idea of the second paragraph ?
a. we always need water in our daily activities
b. we need water to plant the seeds
c. water is an important thing in our life
d. we must take a bath twice a day
26. “They run water to generators to supply electricity”. The word supply has the same meaning
Text for no 27-30
- 1 pound of chicken
- 4 cups of cooking oil
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- A dash of chili powder
The Steps ;
First, put flour, salt pepper, and chili powder in plastics bag and shake to mix. Next, cut chicken
into small pieces, add them to the bag and shake to coat the chicken with seasoned flour. After
that, heat the oil in a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken for about ten
to fifteen minutes or until the chicken is golden brown. Finally, drain the chicken and serve.
27. The following things should be done in the steps of making Chicken Cuts, except…
a. cook the chicken in plastic bag for about ten to fifteen minutes
b. cut chicken into small pieces
c. shake flour, salt pepper, and chili powder in plastics bag
d. add the pieces of chicken to the bag and shake to coat the chicken with seasoned flour
28. Where do you usually find the text above?
a. In a story book
b. In a drawing book
c. In pile of books
d. In a recipe book
29. Finally, drain the chicken and serve. The word drain mean...
c. dry up
d. Open up
30. what does the word “them” in second line refer to?
a. Chicken cutting
c. Drain chicken
d. Chili powder
Text for no 31-33
Test for new member of English Club will be on Friday, December28th 2013 at 7 a.m in
Be there in time!
31. What is the purpose of the text?
a.To persuade the new members about english club
b.To invite new member of english club
c.To inform new members of english club abouth the test
d.To describe about english club
32. The test will be done ….
a. in the morning
b. at the evening
c. in the afternoon
d. at noon
33. Based on the text which statement is NOT TRUE ….
a.The new member will have a test in language room
b.The new member should come after 7 a.m
c.The test will be held on Friday, December 28th 2013
d.The test is for new member
Text for no 34-38
People sometimes need hotels if they travel far from homes. They sometimes
needhotelswhen they arrive in cities late at night and they do not have any relatives there.
Hotels are places that provide lodging and usually meals and various personal services
for thepublic. A good hotel provides many comforts and conveniences. Hotels with hundreds of
rooms arecommon. People can find the advertisements of hotels in newspapers, brochures, the
Downtown hotels survive and prosper because of two important factors. First, business
travelers wish to stay close to the offices or industrial plants they plan to visit. Second, the
locationof the airport is close to the hotels.
As the pace of jet travel grows, hotels spring up near airports.Some travelers stay at
airport inns when their flights are delayed. To save time, businessexecutives often select airport
hotels for meetings or conferences. Once the plane lands, the hotelis only minutes away.
Source: English in Focus for Grade IX Junior High School (SMP/MTs)
34. Which the following statement is not correct according to the text ?
a. People needs hotel for their relatives.
b. Business travelers keep downtown hotels survive and prosper.
c. Business travelers often choose airport hotels to save time.
d. People may find the advertisements of hotels in newspapers.
35. Which hotels can survive and prosper more ?
a. big hotels
b. small hotels
36. What is the main idea of last paragraph ?
a. the appearance of the hotel near airport
b. the meeting of business executives
c. the growing of jet travel
d. the hotelis only minutes away
c. luxurious hotels
d. downtown hotels
37. First, businesstravelers wish to stay close to the offices or industrial plants they plan to visit
(paragraph 3). What does the underline word refer to ?
c. downtown hotels
d. industrial plants
38. As the pace of jet travel grows, hotels spring up near airports.
What does spring up mean ?
Text for no 39-41
We wish to express our deepest condolences on the passing away of
The first chief editor of the Jakarta Post. 78 years of age on Saturday,
His body is laid out at Jl. Saworaya no. 2 rawamangun, East Jakarta.
Burial will be in TanahKusirCemetery, South Jakarta.
On Sunday, sept 10 at 10 a.m
May God almighty bless and keep him always
39. Where will John Smith be buried ?
a. at Jl. Saworaya
The management andd. East Jakarta.Post
staff of Jakarta
b. in Tanah Kusir
40. how longJohn Smith‟s bodywill belaidout at the funeral home ?
a. a day
c. three days
b. two days
d. Four days
41. What is the similar meaning of the word “passing away” in the sentence “We wish to express
our deepest condolences on the passingaway ….” ?
a. go through
Text for no 42-45
HOW TO MAKE PENCIL BOX
An empty plastic bottle of mineral water
A sharp cutter
A piece of white or colorful paper
1. Wash the plastic bottle and make sure it’s clean when you use it.
2. Cut the bottle into two halves. Be sure you use sharp cutter.
3. Wrap the bottle with piece of white or colorful paper.
4. If you use plain paper, use paint to make drawing on it.
5. Your pencil box is ready to use.
42. What do we use paint for ?
A. to cut the plastic bottle
C. to make drawing on a white paper
B. to clean the plastic bottle
D. to wash the bottle
43. What must we do after we wash the plastic bottle?
a. Make sure it‟s clean when you use it
b. Cut the bottle into two halves
c. Wrap the bottle with piece of white or colorful paper
d. Use paint to make drawing on it.
44. The word steps has same meaning with word…
45. “ If you use plain paper, use paint to make drawing on it”.
What does the word it refer to ?
a. the bottle
c. plain paper
b. pencil box
d. Sharp cutter
Text for no 46-49
A laptop is a kind of computer unit which has the same function as a PC (Personal
Computer), but it is smaller, lighter and of different sizes. Nowadays, most people choose
laptops for several reasons.
A laptop is a portable device. This portability is very helpful for our work, study and
other activities. We do not need complicated cable installations to activate a laptop, and with a
laptop, we can do our work anytime anywhere.
Moreover, a laptop allows us to access the internet in public places which provide free
access called hot spot areas. Some people like to use this facility to carry out their tasks.
Finally, a laptop consumes energy more efficiently than a PC does. This device uses a
rechargeable battery as a source of electric energy. So if we prefer using a laptop, it means that
we support the government program to save energy
46. From the text we know that…
a. A laptop is usually more expensive than a PC
b. More people like a laptop better than PC
c. More people like a PC better than a laptop
d. For a mobile person a laptop is more handy than a PC
47. A laptop has become very popular because…
a. It is portable
b. It allows us to access internet
c. It gives several benefits to the user
d. It doesn‟t need complicated cable installation
48. “This device uses a rechargeable battery as a source of electric energy”. (paragraph 4)
What does the underline word refer to ?
a. Personla Computer
b. hot spot area
49. “Some people like to use this facility to carry out their tasks”. What does the word carry out
50. Look at the notice. What does it mean ?
NO FOOD NO DRINK
a. you may eat and drink
b. you should prepare some food
c. you are allowed to cew gum
d. you are forbiden to have some meal
1. Arrange these following words to form a goog passive sentences.
a. was – the – cancelled – of – picnic – the rain – because
b. window – broken – by – the – was - Ahmad
2. Combine these following sentences to form a good adjective clasuse
a. - The doctor examined the sick people
- He was very gentle.
b. – The novel is very interesting.
- I am reading it
3. Read the following text and then fill the blank with appropriate words
Gorillas are the largest of all the primates. A male gorilla can be 180 centimeters
tall and can weigh 200 kilograms. Gorillas are very strong but they do not
often fight. In fact they are peaceful animals.
Gorillas live in small family groups of about 15. In a group there is one strong, older
male, some young males, and a few females with their babies. They ..... ( a )slowly around a
large area of jungle eating leaves and bushes.
In some ways gorillas are very like humans. When they are....( b ), they laugh and wave
their arms. When they are angry, they.... ( c ) their chests. When they are sad, they cry. But they
cry quietly, without any tears.
Unfortunately, people.....( d ) and kill gorillas. They also cut down and burn their trees.
There are now only about 10,000 gorillas left in the world.
4. Arrange the sentences into a procedure text of „how to iron your clothes‟ based on the
a. Prepare the ironing board,a bottle of fabric freshener,and an iron.
b. Adjust the heat of the iron,wait until the iron is hot enough.
c. Cover the ironing board with some cloth.Make sure hat it is thick enough
d. Fold your clothes neatly.
e. Spray the freshener directly on clothes.
f. Iron your clothes.
g. Plug the cable into the wall outlet.
makean advertisement about sellinga birdsimply byinclude elements ofthe animal's
name, the Characteristics of the animal, pricesandcontact person