Physical Features of Naogaon Zila
Naogaon was one of the sub-divisions of former Rajshahi Zila. It was
established in 1877 and was up-graded to zila on 1 March, 1984. It is
believed that the present zila headquarters
initially developed in a mauza comprising of nine (meaning ‘Nao’ in Bangla)
villages (meaning ‘Gaon’ in Bengali). The zila might have derived its name
as Naogaon from the words ‘Nao’ and ‘Gaon’.
Area and Location:
The zila is bounded on the north by West Bengal State of India, east by
Joypurhat Zila and Bogra Zila, south by Natore Zila and Rajshahi Zila and
on the west by Chapai Nawabganj Zila and West Bengal State of India. It
lies between 24º32' and 25º13' north latitudes and
between 28º23’ and 89º10' east longitudes. The total area of the zila is
3435.65 sq.km.(1326.00 sq.miles)of which 9.09 sq.km. (3.51) sq. miles) is
reverine and 19.45 sq.km (7.51 sq. miles) is under forest.
Naogaon Subdivision, under Rajshahi District, was established in 1877
and was turned into a zila in 1984. The zila consists of 11 upazilas, 99
unions, 2497 mauzas, 2780 villages, 3 paurashavas, 27 wards and 92
mahallas. The upazilas are Naogaon Sadar, Atrai, Badalgachhi,
Dhamoirhat, Manda, Mahadebpur, Niamatpur, Patnitala, Porsha,
Raninagar and Sapahar.
Naogaon City is situated on the bank of the river Jamuna. It comprises of
an area of 37.08 sq. km. Naogaon Municipality (now paurashava) was
established in 1963. It consists of 9 wards and 62 mahallas.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics:
Among the archaeological heritages, Paharpur Buddhist
Vihara, Jagaddal Vihara, Halud Vihara and Agrapuri Vihara are the notable.
Indigo rebellion (1859-62) and peasant revolt against the zamindar in
protest of increasing land revenue (1883) are the notable historical events
of this zila.
Marks of the War of Liberation:
There are 9 Mass graves of the Martyrs, 7 mass killing sites, 1
memorial sculpture and 1 monument which bear the testimony of the War
of Liberation in Naogaon Zila.
Naogaon is the homeland of many national and international personalities.
Among them Late Mohammad Abdul Jalil, the Former Minister of
Bangladesh Government, a
renowned politician was the son of the soil of Naogaon Zila. Besides, the
cultural figure Alomgir Kabir,
the leading sportsman Zakaria Pintu and poet Talim Hossain are also the
mentionable names in this
respect of Naogaon Zila.
Temperature and Rainfall:
The annual average temperature of the zila varies maximum 37.8°C to
minimum 11.2°C and the average annual rainfall of the zila is recorded
Atrai, Punarbhaba, Little Jamuna, Nagar, Chiri and Tulsi Ganga are the
main rivers of this zila. x Community Report: Naogaon
The major agricultural products comprise of aus, aman, boro, jute and
rice crops, aman covers by far the largest area followed by boro and aus.
Rice covers 85.25% of the
gross cropped area of this zila. Rabi (summer) includes mustard, khesari,
masur, mash, potato,
sesame, fram, spices, barly, maize, tobacco, sugarcane, etc. Tal (palms)
are abundant in the Barind
portion of the zila. Besides,the cultivation of hemp plant (Cannabas sativa)
is a speciality of the
Naogaon Zila. The plant yields three narcotic products called ganja, charas
The homestead flora of Naogaon Zila represents different species of
trees. These are mango (Mangifera indica), jackfruit (Artocarpus
heterophyllus), black berry (Syzygium cumini), betel nut (Areca catechu),
coconut (Cocos nucifera),palm tree (Borassus flabellifer), guava (Psidium
guajava) and lime (Citrus grandis).
Naogaon subdivision was established in 1877 under Rajshahi district and was
turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 11 upazilas, 99 unions, 2565
mauzas, 2779 villages, 3 paurashavas, 27 wards and 92 mahallas. The upazilas are
Naogaon Sadar, Atrai, Badalgachhi, Dhamoirhat, Manda, Mahadevpur,
Niamatpur, Patnitala, Porsha, Raninagar and Sapahar.
Famous Places of Naogaon:
Zila Porishad Park, Muktir more, AbdulJolil Sishu Park, Shampur Bihar(Paharpur),
Badalgacchi,Dubalhati Rajbari, Kusumba Masjid(Manda), Rabindranath Tagore's
KuthiBari(Patishar),Alta Dighee(Dhamoirhat), Mohadevpur Razbari,Dibor Dighee,
Gahon pirbabar Mazar, Kancon, Hazarat Zahor Uddin Cistia Babar Mazar,
Patnitola,Katabari Mazar(Patnitola), Dudulhati Royal Palace, Balihar Royal
Palace(Naogaon Sadar),Vimer Panti, Jogoddol Bihara,
Mahisontos(Dhamoirhat),Halud Bihar(Badalgachi) Sri Sri Ragunath Geu
Mondir(Mohadevpur) etc. are famous places of Naogaon.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: The Major Archaeological Heritage and Relics
of Naogaon district are Paharpur, Kusumba Mosque and Patisar.
Paharpur is a small village 5 km west of Jamalganj in the Naogaon district where
the remains of the most important and the largest known monastery south of the
Himalayas have been excavated. This 7th century archaeological find covers an
area of approximately 27 acres (110,000 m2) of land. The entire establishment,
occupying a quadrangular court, measures more than 900 ft (270 m) and is from
12 to 15 ft (3.7 to 4.6 m) in height. With an elaborate gateway complex on the
north, there are45 cells on the north and 44 in each of the other three sides, for a
total number of 177 rooms. The architecture of the pyramidal cruciform temple is
profoundly influenced by those of South-East Asia, especially Myanmar and Java.
A site museum built recently houses the representative collection of objects
recovered from the area. The excavated findings have also been preserved at the
Varendra Research Museum at Rajshahi. The antiquities of the museum include
terracotta plaques, images of different gods and goddesses, pottery, coin
inscriptions, ornamental bricks and other minor clay objects.Nine miles west-
southwest of Paharpur is the archaeological site of Halud Vihara, which has been
tentatively listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Kusumba Mosque is named after the village of Kusumba, under the Manda
upazila of Naogaon district, on the west bank of the Atrai river. It lies inside a
walled enclosure District Statistics 2011 with a monumental gateway with standing
spaces for guards. It was built by a high-ranking official named Sulaiman, during
the period of Afghan rule in Bengal, under one of the last Suri rulers, Ghiyasuddin
Bahadur Shah. The platform edge has grape vine decoration, and there are rosettes
on the spandrels of the arches supporting the platform, as well as on the mihrab
Bangladesh 5tk Kusumba Mosque
Patisar is situated on the banks of the river Nagor, 12 kilometres south-east of
the Atrai railway station and 26 kilometers fromthe district town. Patisar village is
associated with Rabindranath Tagore. The headquarters of the Tagore family's
zamindari in Kaligram Pargana was located at Patisar. Dwarkanath Tagore, the
grandfather of Rabindranath Tagore, purchased this zamindari in 1830.
Rabindranath Tagore first came to Patisarin January 1891. The architectural
design of the two-storied Kuthibari of Patisar is similar to that of Shilaidaha-
Shahjadpur. Every year many devotees of Tagore come from home and abroad to
DubalhatiRajbari or Dubalhati RoyalPalace is about 200 years
old. Locally it is called DubolhatiRajbari (Bengali: দুবলহাটি রাজবাড়ি).
Rajbari is Bengali word and it's meaning is king's house. Dubolhati estate
started by Raja Krishnanath Roy Chowdhury in 1793 near
Naogaon. Krisnanath had no son. This is why In 1853 son of his
daughter Horonath Roy Chowdhury became king. In his period Horonath
spreads his estate and many development have been done.He dig many
ponds next to the royal palace to solve fresh drinking water crisis for the
people. A schoolwas established in 1864 by the initiative of the royal
family. This schoolis named after the name of King Horonath. Budolhati
Royal Palace is now abandoned. But once the palace was at least one
hundred spacious bedrooms,artistic veranda, colorfulglass decoration and
the main attraction was differentkind of sculpture.
Mohadevpur Rajbari, Naogaon
Mahadevpur is an Upazila head office in the region of Naogaon. Located on the lender
of the stream Atrai, this Upazila can be found 24 km western of Naogaon city. The
source of this zamindari can be tracked to the leadership of the Mughal Emperor
Jahangir (1605-1627). One Nayan Chandra Roy Chaudhuri was the creator of this
zamindari. He initially confirmed from Bardawan. It is usually considered that the Jaigir
of Jahangirabad pargana was provided by the Mughal Emperor Jahangir to Nayan
Chandra or one of his children known as Bireshwar Roy
Chaudhuri as a compensate for the co-operation prolonged by them to the Mughals for
the cure of Bengal. With the passing of your energy and energy this Jaigir considered
the way of a huge zamindari of Mahadevpur. It is for this reason; Mahadevpur also
came to be otherwise known as Jahangirpur. Information expose that Bireshwar Roy
Chaudhuri, the heir of Nayan Chandra Roy Chaudhuri gained a popularity efficiently
performing the matters of the zamindari. For community well being he designed many
wats and dug many huge aquariums in his zamindari. On the loss of life of Bireshwar,
the property was separated amongst his four kids and his relative Lakshmi Kanta Roy
Chaudhuri. After the loss of life of Lakshmi Kanta his son Brajanath Roy Chaudhuri
became his heir. During his life-time, he had similarly separated his property between
his two kids, Durganath Roy Chaudhuri and Govindanath Roy Chaudhuri and then the
zamindari properties are known as Bara taraf and Chhota taraf. Zamindar Khitish
Chandra Roy Chaudhuri of Barataraf and Rai Bahadur Narayan Roy Chaudhuri of
Chhotataraf were the last zamindars of this zamindar household. The Rajbari of this
zamindar household is now in a decayed situation. Many structures have already been
damaged. Only the developing of Chhota taraf is some how still live through.
Mohadevpur Rajbari, Naogaon
In 1967 this developing has been become Jahangirpur Higher education (now a Government College).
Gaza society naogaon building :
Palanquin, horse carriage, bullock cart, the traditional transports found in
the rural area of
Naogaon Zila, are either extinct or nearly extinct. Now-a-days, all the
upazilas are connected with the
zila headquarters with metalled roads. Bus, minibus, three wheelers ply
over the zila.