A Casual Teaching Tool for Large Size Computer Laboratories ans Small Size Seminar Classes
A Casual Teaching Tool forLarge Size ComputerLaboratories and Small SizeSeminar ClassesTakashi YamanoueKagoshima University
Contents1. INTRODUCTION2. OUTLINE OF SOLAR-CATS3. MAKING A GROUP OF NODES4. USING FUNCTIONS5. EXPERIENCES6. RELATED SYSTEMS7. CONCLUDING REMARKS
1. INTRODUCTION Teaching tools (for Computer Lab.) Teacher’s Screen -> Students’ Screens popular and effective. Need Servers require significant time and energy by the manager Not only computer Lab. ad-hoc seminar classes hard for most teachers to maintain their own server.
SOLAR-CATS A teaching tool for large size computer laboratories and small seminar classes To meet this need. does not need a server … P2P technology.
Functions. Remote operation Interactive operation … mutual exclusion The sending of images The recording and replaying
Using SOLAR-CATS for Introductory computer literacy classes …5 yeas, about 50 students/class Network security class…2years, 30 students Seminar classes … 3 to 8 students Actual size letters and pictures Some students requested it No support from the lab manager USB keys to students.
2. OUTLINE OF SOLAR-CATS A WYSIWIS (What You See Is What I See) Enables sharing real-time operation of Applications text editor draw a simple programming environment web browser writer’s assistant , … All equipped with SOLAR-CATS.
Consists of node systems (nodes) a group manager. Each node system Applications A main controller A command transceiver An event recorder/player
Group Manager Teacher’s node system TCP TCP Student’s nodeStudent’s node systemsystem TCP TCP TCP TCPStudent’s node Student’s node Student’s node Student’s nodesystem system system system
Writer’s Assistant Web Browser Programming Environment Text Editor Draw ApplicationsMain Controller Command Event Recorder/ Transceiver Player Network
3. MAKING A GROUP OF NODES The video of making a group of nodes
4. USING FUNCTIONS Remote Control of an Application Interactive Operation of an Application Still Image Broadcasting Recording and Replaying
4. USING FUNCTIONSRemote Control of anApplication
4. USING FUNCTIONSInteractive Operation of anApplication
6. RELATED SYSTEMS Commercial systems (like DyKnow) Server The electronic chalk board Uni-direction QuickBoard… web based WYSIWIS It uses a high performance server Uni-directional.
Multi VNC … is an extended VNC No mutual exclusion. Wb … interactive draw No mutual exclusion. ESM, RelayCast and Emma … ALM (Application Level Multicast) exchanging streaming data No sharing the same operation.
7. CONCLUDING REMARKS SOLAR-CATS A real-time and interactive instruction tool For large size computer laboratories and small size seminar classes P2P transmitan operation at one PC to other PCs in short time without any errors A mutual exclusion algorithm realize a bidirectional sharing of the operation.
Problems The group would form incorrectly when many nodes attempt to join a group in a short time The new node does not get access to the common data immediately When a new node joins the group, if other nodes are sharing common data Fixing now.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Fundamental Research(C), 17500041
You can use it Now! http://yama-linux.cc.kagoshima-u.ac.jp/ ~dsr/solar-cats.html http://10.250.3.10/w/ … This PC Sorry. It seems, it does not work now. At Your Own Risk! This program has a remote control function. You can re-distribute the program for educational use. I can help you to install it and to run it now.