Training And Development Of Employees
“Training & Development is any attempt to improve current or
future employee performance by increasing an employee's ability
to perform through learning, usually by changing the employee's
attitude or increasing his or her skills and knowledge.”
• Training can be introduced as a process of assisting a person for
enhancing his efficiency and effectiveness to a particular work
area by getting more knowledge and practices. It is also important
to establish specific skills, abilities and knowledge to an employee.
Typical Topics of Employee Training
• The increasing diversity of today's workforce brings a
wide variety of language and customs.
• Computer skills are becoming a necessity for conducting
administrative and office tasks.
• Increased competition in today's global marketplace makes it
critical that employees understand and meet the needs of
• Safety training is critical where working with heavy
equipment , hazardous chemicals, repetitive activities etc but
can also be useful for practical advice for avoiding assaults etc.
• Today's society has increasing expectations about corporate
social responsibility. Also, today's diverse workforce brings a
wide variety of values and morals to the workplace.
• The increased stresses of today's workplace can include
misunderstandings and conflict. Training can people to get
along in the workplace
What China Gorman Thinks About T&D??
•Employee training and development programs directly impact your bottom line.
According to China Gorman, CEO at Great Places to Work said, “As companies
grow and the war for talent intensifies, it is increasingly important that training
and development programs are not only competitive, but are supporting the
organization on its defined strategic path.”
•In their Predictions for 2015, Bersin by Deloitte said, “Organizations with high-
impact learning delivered profit growth three times greater than their
competitors. Why is this? Simply put—if you can keep your employees current
and skilled, you can evolve and perform better than your competitors.”
General Benefits from Employee Training and Development
• Increased job satisfaction and morale among employees
• Increased employee motivation.
• Increased efficiencies in processes, resulting in financial
• Increased capacity to adopt new technologies and
• Increased innovation in strategies and products.
• Reduced employee turnover.
• Enhanced company image, e.g., conducting ethics training
(not a good reason for ethics training!)
• Risk management, e.g. diversity training.
• Improved speed to competency.
Types Of Trainings
• Job Rotations
• Job Instruction
• Vestibule Training
• Lectures Method
• Conference or Seminar Method
• Internship or Apprenticeship Trainings
• Role Play
• Film Or Video Presentation
On The Job Training (OJT)
What Is OJT???
Methods by which employees get hands-on
experience with Instructions from their supervisor or
other trainer, employees are trained at the actual job
New employees observe the work and then try to
On The Job Training (OJT)
The workers learn the job in
actual conditions rather than the
artificial conditions. It motivates
employees to learn.
It is less expensive and consumes
The training is under the
supervision of supervisors who
take keen interest in the training
The production does not suffer
under this method.
The training is highly
disorganized and haphazard.
The supervisor may not be in a
position to devote time and
hence faulty training may take
The experienced trainers may not
There is a lack of motivation on
the part of the trainee to receive
• In lecture method one person explains
different aspects of a programme.
• The technical or special information can
be given in a simple way through lecture
• The audio-visual aids can be used to
make the lecture simple and interesting
to the trainees.
• This method is advantageous when a
large number of trainees are to be
trained at a time.
The Apprenticeship Training programme is the combination of on the-
job training and the classroom training, wherein the workers earn while
learning the skills required for performing the specialized job.
• Earn while learning.
• Gaining the real life experience.
• Mastering in a particular job field.
• Length of training is predetermined by training institute, cant be
changed to accommodate fast learners.
• Under this method, the superior or an
experienced staff gives instructions to the
workers to perform a job.
• It is one-to-one training designed for the
workers where they can find answers to
their queries through the instructions and
demonstrations given by the superior.
• This training is given to the managerial level people, wherein the senior or the
manager gives instructions to the immediate subordinate to carry out the day
to day functioning.
• It is again a one-to-one training method, where the manager is considered as a
mentor to the subordinate and guides him in the situations of difficulty.
Job Instructional Trainings (JIT)
• Under this training, a trainer designs a step by step training
program, wherein the worker is given the instructions to perform
the job as required.
• Firstly, the overview of the job along with the desired results
is explained to the trainee, and then the skills required for the
job is demonstrated by the trainer.
• Then a worker is allowed to perform the job as per his
acquired skills or expertise, and then finally the workers are asked
to give their feedback and ask for any query arising out of the
•Under the job rotation, an employee is often shifted to the other
related jobs, with the intention to make him well versed with other
•This helps him to escape the boredom caused by performing the
same kind of work again and again and also helps in developing a
rapport with other people in the organization.
Types Of Trainings
What Is Off the Job Training?
• Under this method, a trainee has to leave his place
of work and devote his entire time for training
purposes. He does not contribute anything
towards production during training.
• This type of training may be arranged in the
enterprise or may be acquired from specialized
institutes imparting such training.
Off The Job Training:
• This type of training is specifically given to the technical staff,
office staff and the employees who learn the operations of
tools and equipment assembled at a place away from the
actual work floor.
• This type of training is conducted to give the real feel to the
trainees, that they would be experiencing at the actual plant.
• Under this method, the trainees are divided into groups and
then they are presented with the simulated marketplace or the
situations, wherein they are required to apply their learning
and solve the problems accordingly.
• Under off-the-job training, the worker concentrates only on
the learning of a job and is not accountable for the production.
• Under this training, the trainee is required to learn the
operations of machines and equipment, that are reasonably
designed to look similar to those installed at the actual work
• This is one of the most common method of training wherein
the worker learns to operate tools and machinery that look
alike to those, they would be using in the actual work
• This type of training is essential in case of customer services.
• Under this, the trainees assume roles and enact as per the
given situations. It is also called as socio-drama or psycho-
drama, wherein the employees act as if, they are facing the
situation and have to solve it spontaneously without any
Outcomes Of T&D of Employees
Employee performance is normally looked at in terms of
ARMSTRONG 2000 Stated that ,
“It can also be looked at in terms of behavior”
KENNY ET AL Stated that:
“Performance is measured against the performance
standards set by the organization” .
TRAINING OUTCOMES :
* Information such as facts , technique s &Procedure s that
trainees can recall after the training.
* Skill that trainees can demonstrate in tests or on job to
* Trainee &supervisor satisfaction with the training program.
* Change in employees behavior towards beneficial working.
* Improvement in individual, group, or company
Training & development of employees is a
necessity for both trainees &trainer (
• The trainer (company) would make it's stuff
more efficient in this highly competitive
world , i.e. employees should know latest
trends and technologies for getting
progressively high awards
• Improvement will be shown in highly