Dr. Tabakian’s Political Science 1
US Government – Summer 2014
Power Point #6
COURSE LECTURE TOPICS
• Condition Of America’s Masses
• Attitudes Of America’s Masses
• Intolerance Toward Unpopular Groups
• Elite – Mass Communication
• Political Functions Of Mass Media
MASSES IN AMERICA
Condition Of America’s Masses Is Increasingly Unequal
• Growth in international trade is the principle cause of
increasing inequality in America.
• Deunionization contributes to the mass condition of
• Wealth is even more unequally distributed than income.
• Even though family income has been rising, real wages in
America have been declining.
• Unskilled and semiskilled workers are suffering most.
DISTRUST & CYNICISM
The Attitudes of America’s Masses are Increasingly Distrusting and
1. It is caused by disrespect of governmental and political authority.
2. The global economy has disrupted lives of many people.
There are changes in the political process.
1. Dealignment shows a decline in party loyalty.
2. Television has replaced parties in politics.
3. There is increasingly professional politics.
4. There is negative media reporting.
Mass distrust and cynicism may be diminishing after terrorist attack on
1. There is mass confidence in the military.
2. There is mass confidence in the non elected Supreme Court.
INTOLERANCE TOWARDS UNPOPULAR GROUPS
There is an Increase in Intolerance toward unpopular groups.
1. This is a reason why right and left counterelites have arisen in American
2. Mass support for legal immigration has declined over the years.
3. Elite support for legal and illegal immigration has increased over the years.
4. Opinion Differences are explained by variations in level of education.
• The masses are ignorant.
• The masses are politically inactive and apathetic.
• These are the reasons why democracy survives.
Mass intolerance diminished after Brown v. Board of Education.
1. There was a change in who was unpopular.
2. There is a trend in popular vote victories for anti-civil rights issues.
This is the famous “This Land”
cartoon. It is seen as a strong
influential message during the
2004 Presidential Election.
What is the message behind
this cartoon? Was it the
motivation of those behind its
creation to influence our political
system or was the primary
purpose to produce publicity for
Snide TV produced a funny political
cartoon during the Presidential
Primary Election of 2008. “Obama
On the Run” Hillary Clinton and
Barack Obama musically argue it
out over who is the better candidate
in this song satirizing "Anything You
Can Do I Can Do Better." The
cartoon focuses on the narcissistic
characteristics of both Hillary
Clinton and Barack Obama. All
candidates are narcissists at heart.
The Republican National
Committee produced “John Kerry:
International Man Of Mystery”
during the 2004 presidential
election. This campaign
advertisement pokes fun at John
Kerry’s assertion that he is in
contact with world leaders who are
not comfortable with President
George W. Bush. The theme is set
to “Austin Powers”. Enjoy the video.
Mass Media are the Primary Channels of
Communication between Elites and Masses
Means of Communication
• Television communicates emotions and
• News executives, reporters, editors, anchors,
and producers decide what will be news.
MEDIA POLITICAL FUNCTIONS
Mass Media have Political Functions in Society.
• They have the power to set the agenda of issues.
• Their liberal bias is toward bad-news.
• Supreme Court decisions support mass media on no prior
restraint and absence of malice issues.
• The Federal Communications Commission supports mass
media on fairness issues.
Mass media is the principal link between political candidates
and the voters.
• Mass media emphasize the personal image of candidates
rather than issues.
• Political campaigning through mass media is very costly.
Mass Media mainly influence what people know, think, and
SELLING ISSUES TO SOCIETY
The mass media’s greatest
power is the ability to decide
what will be decided. How do
interest groups direct mass
opinion today? We will examine
a marketing campaign led by
the “Consumers Union” that
addresses the issue of
prescription cost. Humor very
effective in pulling on emotional
heartstrings. The ending directs
viewers to a website that states
the primary purpose of this clip.
SELLING ISSUES TO SOCIETY
President Bill Clinton and First
Lady Hillary Clinton proposed
legislation to provide health
insurance to millions of uninsured
citizens. The Health Insurance
Association of American (HIAA), a
health insurance lobbying group
produced “Harry and Louise”