Emphasize that STAR will help give you immediate feedback on your growth in reading and math. Mention that Star will help us focus on core skills necessary for college success. In order to make sure that we are closing achievement gaps, some students may be assessed every 3-6 weeks.
Make sure to mention that Star is a short computer administered assessment.
Although John passed his STAAR test, he only grew 0.4 grade levels last year. With similar growth In 9th grade, he will likely not pass STAAR this year.
In contrast, Saul did not meet standard on reading STAAR last year, but grew 3.5 grade levels in reading skill. Not only will Saul likely pass STAAR in 9th grade but will be college-ready by the time he is a Junior.
A Star assessment always consists of 34 questions and takes about half an hour. Teach test is customized based on a student’s responses - this is called adaptive testing.
In adaptive testing, if a student answers a question correctly the next question will be harder. Similarly, if a student answers a question incorrectly the next question will be easier. This let’s the computer “zero in” on where you are.
Not doing your best can product widely inaccurate results! This will often results in students being assigned work that they already know how to do – a waste of everyone’s time.
Emphasize that these skills are all necessary for college success. Relate these to your campuses core initiatives.
Mention to students that 20% of College freshmen have to take remedial classes in college. Note: Remediation rates at UT Pan Am have dropped from 68% to 16% in the last ten years – see http://www.themonitor.com/report-college-remediation-fails-students/article_69d89d82-fac0-54ee-b89d-c544d96b1bcc.html?mode=jqm
Emphasize that Star will tell students and teacher which specific skills that student should work on in class and during Catalyst.
Little Star not only provides students and teachers will skill reports, but provides an up-to-the minute summary so that parents can better support their students. This type of information is powerful during parent conferences and in getting students to come in for extra help.
Teachers: Read scripted instructions here.
This can also be done as a pair-share or whole group discussion. Use the lesson objectives (referenced below) to guide student answers.
Students will be able to explain What “Little Star” is? Why “Little Star” is important? How we will use it? What an adaptive assessment is? How it will help me (the student) achieve my goals?
Little Star Student Presentation
WELCOME TO LITTLE STAR
• Students will be able to explain
– What “Little Star” is?
– Why “Little Star” is important?
– How we will use it?
– What an adaptive assessment is?
– How it will help me (the student) achieve my
STAAR IS NOT STAR
• Created by the State of
• Taken once a year
• Shows what you already
• “Meet or do not – there is
no try.” (Star Wars
• Different subjects and
• Administered across the
• Available “on-demand”
• Shows what you are
• Focuses on GROWTH
• Math and reading – all
WHICH STUDENT IS DOING
• Passed the 8th grade
• August 2013 Reading
• March 2014 Reading
• Did not pass the 8th grade
• August 2013 Reading
• March 2014 Reading
Items answered by student
Standard Error of
• A Star assessment always consists of 34
• Test takes about half an hour. (30
• Test is customized based on a student’s
responses - this is called adaptive testing.
ALL ABOUT STAR TESTING
• In adaptive testing, if a student answers a
question correctly the next question will be
• Similarly, if a student answers a question
incorrectly the next question will be easier.
• This let’s the computer “zero in” on where
• Not doing your best can product widely
inaccurate results! This will often results in
students being assigned work that they
Math Star Reading Star
1. Word Knowledge and
3. Analyzing Literary Text
4. Understanding Author’s
5. Analyzing Argument and
1. Numbers and
2. Geometry and
3. Data Analysis, Statistics,
• BOY August 18-22, 2014
• January 12-16, 2015
• April 6-10, 2015
• In addition your English Teacher or Math
Teacher may test you during Content
Literacy to see how you have improved
WHEN YOU GET YOUR
• Go to https://hosted274.renlearn.com/2406896
• Click “I’m a Student”
• Wait quietly until everyone is ready; we will start
at the same time
NOW YOU CAN LOG IN AND BEGIN
• Username: Your student ID #
• Password: abc123
• Once you’re logged in, begin the test.
– Do your best, even on the easy questions
– Watch the clock! Don’t run out of time!
– Guess if you don’t know the answer.
When you finish:
1) Close your
2) Sleep, read or
• What are three ways that “Little Star” can
be better than STAAR in helping me learn
• What are two ways that “Little Star” can
help my teacher focus on my individual
needs as a student?
• What is one way that “Little Star” can help
me get to and through college?