There’s a good chance your first encounter with Wimba Classroom will be an e-mail like this one inviting you to join a session.Hopefully that e-mail will tell you what the session will be about, the time and date, and equipment you will need (which we will go over in a second). Also the e-mail hopefully will give you the u-r-l and tell you to go to that site before the session to run the “Setup Wizard” which will also about in a second.
Got the equipment ready, now time to go to the website. url is www.ndivnlc.wimba.com. That should bring you to this screen. And right away it is a good idea to bookmark this site since the url is not an easy one to remember.(Start showing other projector) (Go to website and follow along)
Next make sure you computer will be ready for Wimba by running the setup wizard at there on the right. This checks audio and your overall computer setup. Very important to run the wizard well in advance of the session or presentation.It does not check your camera, do that yourself once inWimba Classroom.(Run set-up wizard)The set-up wizard will guide you through a series of tests to make sure your computer and other equipment are ready. Click start to begin and follow the instructions as given. When items are complete they will receive a check mark at the left. The last two are important features because they check audio playback and recording.
Circle – clear – allows users to re-set their statusBird – awayThumbs up – approveThumbs down – disapproveExclamation point – surpriseQuestion Mark – confusedHands clap – applauseSmiling face – laughing>>> - faster<<< - slower Tell them to show students to use more often in class.
Wimba Basics for NDSU Extension/REC Fall Conf.
Extension/REC Fall Conference 2010
What is Wimba Classroom?
• Wimba Classroom is a live, virtual classroom
environment with features that include audio,
video, application sharing and content display.
• Can be used for any kind of collaboration such
as meetings, classes or continuing education.
• Way to engage as if you are face-to-face.
• It’s a time saver, as well as a money saver,
because travel can be greatly reduced by using
Wimba Classroom instead of meeting in
person or over videoconferencing.
• Wimba can handle up to 300 participants
• Optimal up to 70 participants
How many participants?
• FOR PARTICIPANTS OUT IN THE STATE
• WIMBA INSTRUCTIONS
• Microsoft Windows users, use Internet Explorer or Safari.
• Macintosh users, use Safari. Mozilla Firefox does work but issues can occur.
• If you’ve never done a Wimba session, be sure to run the setup wizard at
http://ndivnlc.wimba.com/ a day or so before to make sure it’s working on your end.
1. After you’ve run the setup wizard, 10 or 15 minutes before the session is to begin, go to
click on "Participant Login"
Room ID: NDSU_Ag
Name: your name and office – for example, “Becky Koch, Ag Comm”
2. Once you are logged in, select "NDSU Ag Communication" (fourth from top) and you will enter the
“room” where the meeting is taking place.
3. Feel free to resize any of the windows or move the video window around.
4. Audio will be one way. You can hear the presenter, but to ask a question, type it in the chat box. It
will then be shared with the presenter. That means you don’t need a headset or phone, just
5. If you can’t make the live presentation, you can follow the Wimba directions above but then click on
archive in the upper right corner. Or ask the coordinator to e-mail you the archive link. The
archive will be available a couple hours after the live meeting takes place.
• To learn more about participating in Wimba, go to: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/wimba/
• The most important links to get you stated are the "Participant - Getting started quick reference," the "Equipment Required"
and the "Wimba Login." If you have questions about Wimba, contact Scott Swanson email@example.com or 231-7086.
• Headset with a microphone attached.
Do not use the built in microphone on your computer or webcam as it can cause
echo and other audio problems.
• Webcam (if you wish to broadcast video)
• Internet Connection
• Internet Browser
PC: Internet Explorer , Firefox
Mac: Safari (preferred), Firefox
Before You Begin
–Turn off any pop-up blockers.
• Turn off Google or Yahoo toolbars.
• Run the Setup Wizard - this will check
your audio and computer set-up.
Once you log into the room - this will be the first page you see. Prior to
entering, click on the Setup Wizard and go through the steps to ensure your
computer is ready for the presentation.
Note: Setup Wizard will check your computer and your audio
connection. It does not check your camera connection. You will
need to test that yourself by clicking on the camera
• Once you have
logged in, you will
enter an area
referred to as the
• Find the room you
were invited to
and click on it.
If headset fails –
back up audio
plan is the blue
phone. Click on it
for phone number
to call along with
If audio or video fails, it may be corrected by
clicking on Disconnect Media. Click on it again
Click on Audio Inputs to ensure what
is checked here matches your
Click on Options
for Media Options
Circle – clear – allows users to re-set their
Bird – away
Thumbs up – approve
Thumbs down – disapprove
Exclamation point – surprise
Question Mark – confused
Hands clap – applause
Smiling face – laughing
>>> - faster
<<< - slower
Wimba Classroom Websites
• Wimba Classroom Links
-click on Web Conference, then Wimba Classroom, then Training Resources
Choose – Presenter Guide 6.0 (PDF)
Application Sharing (PDF)
Content Display (PDF)
Web Page Display (PDF)
Getting Ready Guide (PDF)
Success Guide (PDF)
E-mail me your request for name/password along with
your name and department:
Wimba Login page: