• What are Containers ?
• Windows Server Containers
• Provides isolation through process & namespace technology
• Hyper-V Containers
• Provides isolation by running each container in highly optimized VM
• When to use what ?
• Microservices is an approach to application development where every
part of the application is deployed as a fully self-contained
component, called a microservice that can be individually scaled and
• Agility - can scale out dynamically depending on usage, with resource
isolation every service is restrained from accessing other service’s
• Solves Management, Deployment, Orchestration and patching needs
without affecting High availability
WCF services in containers ?
• Windows containers are now available to use
• Service endpoints are easy to configure
• Reduce or eliminate maintenance of Virtual machines
• Better support for service oriented architecture
What is supported for WCF ?
• Http /Https endpoints
• IIS Hosting
• Self Hosting
• Anonymous access endpoints
WCF Image Dockerfile
SHELL [“powershell”, “-command”, “$ErrorActionPreference = ‘Stop’;
RUN Add-WindowsFeature NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45;