The aim of the lesson:
• To develop students’ skills and habits of prepared and
• To practice listening, reading, speaking and writing skills;
• To develop healthy eating habits;
• To activate grammar skills;
• To teach how to express your opinion;
The motto of our lesson:
• Do you live to eat or eat to
• Eating is always a decision, nobody forces your hand to
pick up food and put it into your mouth.
• Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner
like a pauper.
• Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are.
Write a list of your eight favourite
foods in order of importance
Do you have fast foods in your list?
The questions for discussion:
• What fast foods are the most popular with
teenagers in our country?
• How often do you eat them?
• Is it a good or bad thing that fast food is spreading
around the world?
Tick (v) true or cross (x) false
• 1. A kind of pizza was eaten in Ancient Greece.
• 2. Modern pizza was invented in 20th century.
• 3.The “Pizza Margherita” was invented in the USA.
• 4. Coca-Cola was a big success immediately.
• 5.The average Mexican drinks more Coca-Cola than averageAmerican.
• 6. People who eat a lot of fast food are generally slimmer than other people.
• 7. Sales of fizzy drinks are going down in the USA.
• 8.The first McDonald’s restaurant was opened in California in 1940.
• 9. Fast food creates a lot of rubbish.
• 10.The Americans have started a slow food campaign.
Fast food facts
Fast food Junk food
Read the text and find the advantages and disadvantages of
Numerous scientific researchers have proved that eating fast or
junk food is dangerous for our health. Such unhealthy meal is
convenient, quick and cheap and no preparation is needed.That’s all
for the advantages.The list of disadvantages is much longer. Chips,
hamburgers, hot dogs, candies and fizzy drinks contain too much fat,
salt and sugar.They haven’t vitamins and can cause different
diseases like high blood pressure, cancer or heart problems.
Generally junk food is given a very attractive appearance by
adding food additives and colouring agents. Media advertisements
also add to its popularity.When you see the bright packing of chips
and sweets or chocolate it’s very difficult to go past a shop without
buying something. Fast food has become a way of life- fast, hussy,
stressed and unhealthy. Unfortunately, many people don’t
understand that we need food to live and we don’t live to eat food.
Listen to the interview and write down the names
of foods where you can find
Answer the questions:
• What is the most important thing for you if you want to be fit and
• What food will give you lots of vitamins, especiallyVitamin C?
• Why do you need to eat food with carbohydrates?
• Why eating too many sweets and chocolates are bad for your body?
• What food contains protein?
• Eggs and milk also give you calcium, don’t they?What is it important for?
• Must you eat regularly or at different times?
• What mustn’t you do when you’re training?
• Eat less sugar and more fruit and vegetables
• Don’t eat much salt
• Try to eat more fibre it is low fat
• Eat less high fat foot and more fibre
• Grilled food is much healthier than fried
• Eat regularly and drink 5 glasses of water every day
Complete Jessica’s NewYear’s
resolutions with the words from the
caffeine, fat, fibre, fit, lose, headache, put on
My NewYear’s resolutions
I’m going to look after myself better this year!
1. I’m going to__________some weight
2. I’m going to eat less_____and more____.
3. I’ll try not to_____weight again next Christmas.
4. I’m going to exercise every day until I feel _____ and
5. If I have a ______, I won’t take painkillers.I’ll go for a walk
6. I’m going to have less______: only one cup of coffee a day.
• 1.When you buy food, which is more important?
a) appearance b) price c) quality
• 2. If you buy apples, which kind do you choose?
a) red b) green c) the cheapest
• 3. When you have a meal, what do you enjoy it
a) the food b) the company c) the relaxation d) the
• 4. If you were stranded on a desert island what
food would you miss most?
a) chocolate b) steak c) bread
• 5. If a waiter suggests water, which do you ask
a) sparkling b) still c) tap
• 6. When you look at the menu in a restaurant,
what do you usually choose?
a) a dish you know b) a dish you don’t know
• 7. If you ‘re having dinner in a restaurant, will you
always have a dessert?
a) yes b) no
8. If someone offered the following unusual food,
which would you try?
a) cheese-flavoured ice-cream b) strawberry flavoured
• 9. If someone suggested a quick meal, what
would you choose?
a) fast food b) sandwich c) a picnic d) something more
• 10. What would you be happiest to leave out of
your present diet?
a) meat b) vegetables and fruit c) desserts d) wine
• 11. If you could put flavour on stamps, what
would you choose?
a) chilli b) cheese c) banana d) another e) none
• 12. If someone said “Never eat anything you
can’t pronounce” what would you say?
a) I cannot agree more b) Nonsense!
Are you a true gourment?