Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Working in the uk after graduation (april 2016)


Published on

Presentation for international students who want to stay in the UK after they graduate.

Published in: Career
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Working in the uk after graduation (april 2016)

  1. 1. Working in the UK after your studies understand w prepare w support International Student Support
  2. 2. Options Main routes Tier 1 – Entrepreneurs and Investors Tier 2 General – skilled jobs with a Tier 2 sponsor Tier 5 – Temporary workers and Youth Mobility Scheme PhD route – Doctorate extension scheme (Tier 4) Other Options (only relevant to some) Dependants Spouse or partner of person settled in UK EEA family member UK Ancestry route – Commonwealth + grandparent UK born Turkish Workers – self employment and working rights . understand w prepare w and then we can support you
  3. 3. Resources and links  ISS website  This presentation will be emailed to you  UKCISA website, section ‘Working after studies’,  UK Visas and Immigration website (UKVI), immigration/work-visas – guides for each Tier  See an International Student Adviser at a drop-in (Bramber House Level 2 – usually 2-4 Monday to Friday, check our website for a monthly timetable)  Email immigration queries to What help is available to me understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  4. 4. Tier 2 requirements: an overview There are different subgroups of Tier 2:  Main route is Tier 2 (General)  Intra-company transfers which could apply to you if you are employed by a multi- national company outside the UK which has a UK branch  Sportspersons  Ministers of Religion
  5. 5. Tier 2 General: overview You must have all of the following to be eligible for a Tier 2 (General) visa: • a certificate of sponsorship reference number • an ‘appropriate salary’ - Minimum wage level of £20,800, though this depends on the job and can be higher • the required level of English (your degree) You must also have £945 in savings - this is to prove you can support yourself. You must have had this in your bank account for 90 days before you apply, unless you’re exempt (A- rated sponsor certifies will maintain and accommodate applicant until end of first month of employment) You need a graduate level job offer with a salary of at least £20,800
  6. 6. Tier 2 General – Overview To be able to apply for Tier 2, you need a graduate level job offer from an employer who holds a Tier 2 licence (Issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)) Check if potential employers are on the Tier 2 register of sponsors - employers, If employer is not a Tier 2 sponsor - CEC have an information sheet to give employers Initial visa of up to 5 years or length of the contract (whichever is shorter), extension to a maximum of 6 years in total Only work for sponsor in occupation stated on CoS BUT supplementary and voluntary work permitted Full details, need a graduate level job offer with a salary of at least £20,800
  7. 7. UKVI Register of Sponsor
  8. 8. Tier 2 General – What type of jobs are acceptable? This is explained in the Immigration rules appendix J - Codes of practice for skilled work Employers use Codes of practice to identify the standard occupational classification for a job The codes of practice tell you what the minimum rates of pay and the skill level are for any job, explains which jobs are acceptable under Tier 2 Most jobs must be graduate level, NQF level 6 minimum (exceptions in creative sector/shortage occupation) Tables 1 and 2 at the above link Details salary requirements by job – all £20,800 or higher Salary levels differ for ‘new entrant’ (most students, minimum £20,800) and ‘experienced worker’ (already in the UK with work permission) Shortage Occupations are jobs that employers find difficult to fill using settled workers only. The list can be found in appendix K of the immigration rules You need a graduate level job offer with a salary of > £20,800
  9. 9. Tier 2 – Do I qualify for the RLMT exemption? What is the Resident Labour Market Test? This is the process an employer must follow before employing a person who is not a permanent resident of the United Kingdom, they must be able to prove that no suitably skilled settled worker could do the job (specific advertising requirements) You are exempt from this if you apply in the UK before your Tier 4 visa expires AND: You must have completed at least 12 months of study in the UK towards a UK PhD, or have completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor or postgraduate degree or a PGCE (during your current leave, or a period of continuous leave which includes your current grant of leave) CHECK if you will meet the student exemption requirements here: studies#RL?rl_playlist=playlist3771&rl_id=4 understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  10. 10. Tier 2 General – Application options Tier 2 application options: 1. Applying in the UK before your Tier 4 visa expires, special provisions for students – in most cases no Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) and new entrant salary level applies 2. Applying from your home country – Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) applies (restricted COS and points system apply) exception from RLMT if shortage occupation. You need a graduate level job offer with a salary of > £20,800
  11. 11. Tier 2 – Application process, requirements, costs, & timing Once you have your Certificate of sponsorship from your employer, fill in online form You need to maintain £945 in your bank account for 90 consecutive days (sponsor certification possible from A rated sponsors) Deadline to apply in the UK is your visa expiry date Cost of application – Less than 3 years = Postal £664, PEO in person £1,164, from Home £575 Cost of application – More than 3 years costs increases Payment of Immigration Health Surcharge - £150 per year (at time of application) Are you or have you been financially sponsored ? Unconditional consent letter needed if in last 12 months and fully sponsored (fees and living costs) You need a graduate level job offer with a salary of > £20,800
  12. 12. Tier 2 – Timing How long will my TIER 2 application take? Decisions are made: • within 8 weeks for online applications (postal)– usually quicker! • within 10 days if you’re able to use the Tier 2 priority application service • usually on the same day if you use the premium service You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example because: • your supporting documents need to be verified • you need to attend a credibility interview Starting work – in some cases this is possible if agreed with your employer. You need a graduate level job offer with a salary of > £20,800
  13. 13. Tier 5 There are two schemes: 1. Youth mobility scheme 2. Temporary Worker - subcategories:  government authorised exchange  creative and sporting  charity workers  religious workers  international agreement understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  14. 14. Tier 5 – Youth Mobility Scheme Youth mobility scheme is available to nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Taiwan, & Hong Kong (SAR), and to British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens and British Nationals (Overseas) Republic of Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong SAR – a valid CoS is required from national government 18-30 year olds only £1,890 in your bank account on date of application No previous time in UK as a Working Holidaymaker or a Tier 5 (YMS) migrant Single period of leave for 2 years – you can work in the UK for up to 2 years Self-employment permitted but restrictions No switching in the UK, apply from home only No dependants allowed understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  15. 15. Tier 5 – Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) Made up of four programmes:  Work experience programmes – volunteering, job-shadowing, internships and approved work experience programmes. Max stay 12 months.  Research programmes – working on specific scientific, academic, medical or government research projects. Max stay 24 months.  Training programmes – in receipt of formal, practical training in the fields of science and/or medicine. Includes training programmes for qualifying graduates. Max stay 24 months  Overseas government language programmes. Max stay 24 months. understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  16. 16. Tier 5 – Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) understand w prepare w and then we can support you! Start researching relevant schemes - you need to find your own Internship or opportunity – work placements/contacts Contact the Tier 5 sponsor to ask for full details and find out how to apply Details of GAE schemes government-authorised-exchange-schemes Tier 5 GAE guidance  Example of work experience scheme: Tier 5 Intern Scheme – run by GTI recruitment solutions, employer needs to register with GTI
  17. 17. Tier 5 – Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) understand w prepare w and then we can support you! Need to be sponsored by a licensed overarching body and be issued with a Certificate of Sponsorship Must meet the requirements of the individual scheme You can stay in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months (depending on the scheme you’re applying for) National minimum wage applies Switching into GAE only in specific circumstances, some GAE schemes allow application in UK Maintenance requirement £945 for 90 days (or A rated sponsor certification) VISA fee £230 by post/online OR £730 in person  You must have one of the following: a PGCE, PGDE, or UK bachelors or masters degree or completed at least 12 months study towards a UK PhD  Can have dependants, study and take additional job up to 20 hours
  18. 18. Doctorate extension scheme – Tier 4 PhD work scheme - must be studying for a PhD qualification Apply in UK only, before your course ends via Tier 4 route – speak to an adviser three months before your thesis submission - TIMING VERY IMPORTANT Apply after viva, once submitted corrections (if any), must apply before official completion – keep in touch with Research Student Administration Office Self-employment allowed Do not need a job offer to apply for DES 12 months duration – bridge Tier 2 understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  19. 19. Doctorate extension scheme – Tier 4 What do I need to apply? Maintenance £2,030, for 28 consecutive days Costs the same as Tier 4 (standard £448, priority £823, premium £948) Consent letter needed if you have been financially sponsored in last 12 months University of Sussex will continue to be your sponsor (monitoring requirements) understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  20. 20. Tier 1 Exceptional talent Entrepreneur and Graduate Entrepreneur Investor You can find information about all of these schemes at understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  21. 21. Tier 1 – “Exceptional talent” Exceptional talent – this route is for exceptionally talented individuals who wish to work in the UK in the fields of:  Science  Humanities  Engineering  The arts  Technology Either: Already internationally recognised at the highest level as world leaders or emerging leaders in field OR Already demonstrated ‘exceptional promise’ and are likely to become world leaders in particular field (from 6 April 2014) Require endorsement from Designated Competent Body (Arts Council, Royal Academy of Engineering, British Academy, Royal Society, Tech City UK - recognised world leaders only) Limited to 1000 per year No maintenance requirement Initial grant 3 years and 4 months, extension 2 years, settlement after 5 years More details can be found here - understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  22. 22. Tier 1 – “Entrepreneur, Investor and Graduate Entrepreneur” Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) a scheme for graduates who have been endorsed by a UK university as having developed ‘genuine and credible business ideas and entrepreneurial skills’ . Sussex is not participating in this scheme in 2015/16. This is under review for 2016/17. Entrepreneur - is for people who want to invest in the UK by setting up or taking over, and being actively involved in the running of, a business or businesses here (Usual £200,000, minimum £50,000 investment) Investor - is for high-net-worth individuals who want to make a substantial financial investment in the UK (minimum £2 million) You can find detailed information about all of these schemes at immigration/work-visas understand w prepare w and then we can support you!
  23. 23. understand w prepare w and then we can support you Contact details Bramber House, 2nd Floor, Room 202 T: +44(0) 1273 678422 E: