STAR- communication technique designed to provide complete, meaningful answers to questions asking for examples. Try to ensure that the example: - is relevant and describes the skill being asked for - demonstrates action and is something you actually did, as opposed to what you learned, or what you might do in a hypothetical situation - is personalised by stating what you did, as opposed to saying what other people did or what happened has a positive outcome - is appropriate and gives you something you can talk comfortably about if asked for more detail - is specific - if the question asks for an example, then you should only describe one.
Title slide of presentation.
CV & Applications
CV & Applications
• Function of the CV and Application process
• Selecting relevant content for the recruiter
•Connecting your experience & recruiter
•UK style of CV and Applications
•Understands what the employer is looking for!
•Clearly demonstrates your potential for the job/course
•Tells your story
•Designed to get you to interview!
What’s the purpose of application?
- Recruiters want to read about the skills / qualities you have
that are relevant to them and their selection criteria.
- This is a ‘matching process’!
i.e. Mirror the job description or recruitment expectations.
- A CV is a marketing exercise
- You are promoting your skills, in general or to a targeted
Look in detail at company web pages / recruitment packs.
The matching process
Self Analysis / You The
Different Styles of CV
•Skills based / targeted /
•Different – to attract attention
•Short Personal Profile: 2/3 lines
•Where I am
•What I want
•What I offer
•Work Experience – Relevant & Other
•Role specific skills
•Interests – what else do you do?
What to include in your CV?
Evidencing your experience in CVs & Applications
Make connections between what you have done and
what the role expects / requires
Focus on your role in the examples & evidence you give
End on your achievements
Make sure you answer the question
Writing Style/ Layout in
Applications & CVs
• Detail is convincing
• Use Active Language
• Accurate grammar and spelling
• Clarity, carefully and clearly laid out
• Format/ presentation- logically ordered, easy to read
and not cramped
Careers & Employability Centre
• Short interview with a Careers Adviser - discuss your
career plans 11-5 Mon- Fri plus (Book on the day)
• Briefing sessions- Applications forms, CVs, Skills,
• Events- we have a comprehensive events programme
• CV and Application Feedback