Local video reaches across the world
We don’t need foreign correspondents
News happens in real time
Flickr: February 27, Saturday am: Chilean
earthquake 8.8, 4:34 am
Via search & reputation, news is both grass-
roots & filtered—almost instantaneously
Implications to think about
• Peers are our experts
• Social media is our ecosystem
• Mobile means access everywhere
EVERYONE USES SOCIAL MEDIA
It’s the drumbeat. And powerful for clients.
Welcome to the social media ecosystem
200 Million Americans are on Facebook
Roughly 44 million people use Twitter
There are over 4 Billion photos on photo-sharing
You are now connected to everyone on the
planet via search & Facebook
This means: The game Has changed
How do you show up on the Net?
Who are you connected to? What do
you stand for?
Social media has an amplifying power.
Do you know how to use it?
Oakland Local: Case study in community
engagement & social media marketing
Social media & OL
Facebook: 4,300 friends; 950 active posters
Twitter: 2,500 + followers, 5-10 retweets daily
Flickr: Active flickr site & tags
Scribd: Over 5,000 downloads
YouTube, Vimeo, etc: Active video channels
Who posts? Team of 5 rotate responsibilities
What does this get us?
Facebook & Twitter as top referrers
Powerful community connections: Facebook the AOL
of today; people hang out
Ability to engage, discuss, interact
Genuine connections with wide, diverse community
Ability to serve and empower
Uses for social media for small business
Make your brand
Create and manage
your own online
presence on the web,
Facebook, Yelp, Linked
In and other sites
Market your brand to
customers to increase
awareness & sales
What is your social media—and online
• Do you know how your
clients show up on the web?
Are you discoverable
through search? If someone
hears of you—can they
• Let’s look at three East Bay
retail businesses and see
how they show up.
• Google links: 4,700 • Blogger links- 274 see
• Social media tools: http://bit.ly/8YPTZS
• Facebook (528 friends):
• Twitter (456 friends):
• Blogger links- 274-- see
• Yelp (80 reviews): http://bit.ly/8YPTZS
• TOTAL Social media
• The smallest and most independent ice cream business
—Scream Sorbet-- has the largest social media reach
and links on Google and the most mentions by
• They use Twitter and Facebook to promote their weekly
flavors and have very active and engaged followers
who LOVE their product and like to talk about it.
• Customers are sales people and brand advocates.
• There is a personal feel because people are
encouraged to fixate on specific flavors.
Lessons to learn
• The cost of customer acquisition is LOWER with
social media than with direct mail or most
• The online activity supports the OFFLINE activities
• Feeling of fun and passion fits love of great sorbet/
• Social media drives interest in the product, which
results in leads and sales
How did these owners do it?
• Applied resources and time to managing online
marketing: Facebook, Twitter, blogging, Yelp
• Monitored results and checked impact on both web site
traffic and real-world customers (How did you hear
about us? “On Twitter.)
• Had clear messaging around specific actions and
opportunities (Come in today for chocolate caramel ice
cream; Take part in our ice-cream giveaway at our
• Made a plan, set goals and tried it.
We MEASURE like crazy!
Google search (reach, impact)
On-going analysis & course corrections
Action steps you can take now
• Check out what people are saying about you on
Google, Yelp, Facebook, and Twitter.
• Yelp http://www.yelp.com (search box) or name of
your business in quotes + Yelp (Example: "Scream
Sorbet" + Yelp, http://bit.ly/c8x64c
• Set up a Google alert for you, your business and your
competitors (see google.com/alerts). Have it come to
you as a daily email or RSS feed.
• Facebook Business Account FAQ:
• Twitter account creation:
• Great article on social media and small business:
• Don’t forget about follow-up classes from Oakland
Local Academy—and the social media support our
consulting group can provide you with along with
Oakland Local loves to share community
Keep in touch
Follow us on Facebook !