Conducting local area studies
using mobile technology and
ITRT- Courtin, Daws, Byers, Mason
Collect Data in the field
1. Use a GPS unit. Collect Latitude and Longitude
and put in CSV spreadsheet along with other
attribute data. Upload spreadsheet to map.
Timestamp Latitude Longitude
2. Use a Google Form registered at
EdGIS.org to collect data in field on
smart phones. Upload CSV file to map.
3. Use an app like MotionX-GPS or Map
My Run to record a track. Add to map.
4. Create a service in AGO and use the
ArcGIS collector app in the field.
• Follow the Collector App Lesson Pack
• Available for iOS and Google Play
Use Data that is Published Online
• Use csv or kmz
• Copy the link
to the file and
then “drag and
• Go to the Lesson Packs links and download the
instructions and data file.
• Create a map, add the burger.csv data, save
and share it.
• Create a web application
• Choose Map Tour web application
• “Go to the item now” and Configure App
• Switch to Builder Mode
Follow along or
go at your own pace.