PP Interview Questions
1) Describe standard Production Planning and Control Cycle
SOPDemand managementPIRsMRPPlanned OrdersProduction
OrdersProduction ExecutionSettlement of Prod orders
2) Describe SOP and Flexible Planning and differences
3) Different types of Production scenarios availablea. Discrete Mfg
c. Process Mfg
4) Differences between REM and Discrete mfg
5) What is PSA (Production supply Area)-Used in KANBAN.A control cycle is defined for PSA for
obtaining material from this PSA.
6) What is the master data used in Discrete mfg-Material Master,WC,BOM,Routing
7) What is the master data used in PP-PI-Material Master,BOM,Resource,Master Recipe
8) What is Back flush and where all you can set it
a. Material master
c. Production Order
d. Production Scheduling Profile
e. In Order Confirmation Parameters-Goods Movements all Components
9) What are the standard interfaces between PP and other modules in SAP
10) What is ASAP and ASAP tools
11) What are the tasks that can be performed at Plant Level—INVENTORY
MANAGEMENT,DEMAND MANAGEMENT & PRODUCTION PLANNING,PRODUCTION
CONTROL,REQUIREMENT PLANNING,PLANT MAINTENANCE.
12) Describe MRP Controller, Capacity Planner and Production Scheduler.
13) What is Cross Plant planning and how it is possible-SPK
14) If we don’t want user to know the standard value during CONFIRMATION, how do we do-In
the parameters for Order Confirmation tick ”ACTUAL DATA”
PART-B (Master data)
1. What are the different views in a Material Master which belong to PP.
2. Explain MRP1 to MRP4 views
a. MRP1-How Production needs are to be met-MRP type and Controller
b. MRP2-Specifies how the material is to be procured, has Scheduling margin key,GR
process Time, Issue Storage location.
c. MRP3-Strategy Group, Consumption mode, Availability Check
d. MRP4-Planning of dependent components, Production versions, Method of
3. What are the different types of Scraps
a. Assembly Scrap-material Master (MRP-1)
b. Component Scrap-material Master(MRP 4),BOM
c. Operation Scrap- ROUTING
4. What are the different types of BOMs that can be created in SAP
a. Material BOM
b. Equipment BOM
c. Functional Location BOM
d. Document BOM
e. WBS BOM
5. What is a Phantom Assembly
6. What is the significance of Ind and Collective Requirements in MRP4 view
7. If a BOM Component qty is to be fixed irrespective of Header qty what is to be done-FIXED
QTY INDICATOR(Not applicable if it is a Alternative item or Co-Product)
8. What is PLANNING TIME FENCE and its significance(Useful for Master Scheduling Items).
9. Technical BOMs are of two types
a. Variant BOM-Groups several BOMs having a large no of common components
b. Multiple BOM(Also called as Alternative BOM)-One object with different
combination of materials
10. How do you know if a BOM is created from external source(ALE)- In header data in Further
data tab there would be ALE indicator
11. How do you know if a item in a BOM is an assembly.
12. Important Tables in BOM-MAST,STKO, STOP,STAS.
13. What are the various item categories in a BOM –
a. D-Doc Item
b. I PM structural Item
c. K Class Item
d. L Stock Item
e. M Phantom Assy
f. N Non stock Item (Purchasing data should be maintained)
g. R variable size item
h. T Text item
14. What is Over and Under delivery tolerance-Where all you can maintain,--SO ,material
Master WS view, Prod Order
15. Auto GR-This can be done thru “Prod Scheduling Profile or Control Key of Routing”
16. Describe PP Costing
17. What is a Production Version-Combination of BOM and Routing and can be used in REM and
18. Describe various Planning Strategies MTO and MTS
19. What is a trigger point, Use and where do you assign it
20. BOM explosion for Dependent Requirements –Where do you maintain-MRP4 view. They are
–By Order qty,By Explosion date, By Prod version, By Prod version only.
At what levels Planning can be done-Product Group and Material Level
Can the Operations plan be distributed to various plants-Thru Distribution key
What are the various Planning Methods-Consistent. Level by Level,Delta
What is Planning Hierarchy-It is a combination of Characteristic values.
Flexible Planning –Works only in Consistemt or Level by Level
What are the Planning levels available in SOP-PRODUCT GROUP or MATERIAL,PLANT,PROD
Planning Hierarchy is related to INFO STRUCTURE
What is an EVENT?
How EVENTS are assigned to SOP—TC MC8B
On what Basis Resource levelling calculates the RESOURCE LOAD-Thru Rough cut planning
Describe Annual Planning
What are the different Forecasting Models- Constant,Trend,Seasonal,Mixed.
PART-D (DEMAND MANAGEMENT)
1. What is the goal of Demand management
2. When do you go for MTS and MTO
3. How do you assign a demand to be adjusted between two production lines-Edit PIR in MD62
and thru MENU option distribute between two prod lines
4. Planning Strategies for MTS and MTO.
1. What is the functionality of MRP and how does it behave in the case of Master Schedule
2. What are the Inputs for MRP
b. Customer Requirements
c. Secondary Requirements
e. Fixed Receipts
Out put of MRP-Planned Orders and Purchase Requisitions
What is the difference between Consumption Based Planning and Deterministic PlanningPast oriented and Future Oriented.
What is Safety Stock-Absolute and Safety days
If a material is to be delivered on a Particular day ,then how do you go about it-Time Phased
What is Regenerative Planning, Net Change Planning and Net Change Planning in Planning
What is the difference between Basic date(Material master) and Lead time(From Routing)
1. What is the purpose of LTP
2. What is the first step in executing LTP-Release of Planning Scenario
3. What can be Evaluated in the LTP Simulation
a. Comparison with Operative Planning
b. Analysis of capacity
c. Requirements and Inventory Analysis
d. Cost Center Planning
4. What is the basis for carrying out LTP-Inactive PIRs.
5. What is the difference between Simulation Run and MRP.
6. What is the significance of BOM selection ID in LTP-
PART-G (Capacity Planning)
1. When is Capacity Requirements determined-In Lead time Scheduling.
2. How are the Capacity Requirements Reduced-TECO ,Locking Order, Deletion Flag, Operation
PART-H (Production Orders)
1. What is Check Control-It is for Checking Matl Availability, Capacity Availabilty,PRT
a. This can be done at Order creation
b. Order Release
2. How is Production Version Selected-Manual or Automatic is defined in the Order type
3. Is it possible to read Master data after an Production Order is released-Possible if no Goods
Movements have taken place