Implementation of Europeana API in (11th MSEG)


Published on

11th Member States Expert Group on Digitisation Luxemburg 2013-04-10

Published in: Education, Technology
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • A few words about the NHB implementation of Europeana API in our cross search service called Kringla (pretzel).
  • NHB has been around since 1630.   Its first task was to collect information on ancient monuments in order to prove the great antiquity of Sweden and prove its position as an awesome nation in the World.   Now, 380 years later we have a slightly different focus. NHB is nowadays more devoted to historical environment issues on a national level and following the operational work on the regional level. In short.
  • The most important digital collections that NHB manages, consists of metadata of ancient monuments and protected buildings and they count some 1 million objects together
  • NHB is also owner of Swedish Open Cultural Heritage: aggregates historical environment data and data from some 20 museums.   Today SOCH holds metadata for some 4.4 million items (2.2 to be found in the Europeana index).   (SOCH is basically the same thing as Europeana but more limited to historical environment and museum collection, including archive documents, mainly photographs.)
  • We are also busy implementing new practices like:   Removed obstacles concerning use of data (mindset) Get a good grip of copyright law and how it´s applied, implementing Creative Commons licenses. Implement techniques that support linked open data, tools for crowdsourcing and so forth. I´d say that 90 % of our time has been been devoted to deal with issues related to mindset, IPR and licensing. And the remaining 10 % goes for figuring out technology for all this stuff. But now over to something different Kringla:
  • is a: Cross search Mashup Platform for UGC Lab for LOD It looks like this:
  • First a quick look what Kringla is all about. This is an example of an object presentation >>
  • query and uses data from several sources   - Wikipedia - Wikimedia - Linked data from SOCH - Google Maps
  • This search result page gives you an idea how Europeana is integrated in the interface:
  • When we started out to implement the Europeana API, the Kringla application was already deployed.   And thanks to the standardized technology - both at our end and at the Europeana´s - it was very easy to link both services.   After some discussions how to present a results from a query in Kringla etc etc the estimated time for implementation was 6 hours of programming.   In reality it took 3 hours, at a cost of 350 euros. So it was not very costly or complicated.
  • Summing up the “whys”!
  • "If your content is not interoperable, it's not findable. If it's not findable, who cares about it?"
  • Implementation of Europeana API in (11th MSEG)

    1. 1. Luxemburg April 10 2013: MSEG on Digitisation and Digital Preservation
    2. 2. The National Heritage Board•Since 1630•Agency – Ministry of Culture•Heritage and historic environment issues (overalllevel and monitoring)
    3. 3. The Agency Online• 800 000 monuments sites• 80 000 protected buildings• 100 000 images
    4. 4. SOCH(Swedish Open Cultural Heritage)• +20 museums• 4.4 mio objects• SOCH API - 10 apps• Europeana aggregator – 2.2 mio
    5. 5. New best practices •Licensing & respect PD•Linked open data•Tools for crowdsourcing•Focus on infrastructure & distribution (API)•(Less on ”portals”)
    6. 6. What is ? • Cross search  • Mashup  • Platform for UGC  • Lab for LOD 
    7. 7. Google maps Google maps Street view Street view Panoramio Panoramio Query results Query results Wikipedia (UGC) Wikipedia (UGC) Wikimedia Wikimedia Wikimedia (UGC) Wikimedia (UGC) LOD via SOCH LOD via SOCH Agents Agents Events EventsRoyal Armory Museum (SOCH)Royal Armory Museum (SOCH) etc etc
    8. 8. [Linneaus]
    9. 9. Why?Information comes first!Institution comes second!Make it easy for the users!
    10. 10. "If your content is not interoperable, its not findable. If its not findable, who cares about it?"
    11. 11. From analog to digital“It’s a good thing that data is being used a lot”“We don’t need to be involved when data it is being used”“Paywalls and complicated terms of use are efficient obstacles”“Claiming © over stuff in PD does not promote use and reuse”
    12. 12. Lars Lundqvist CC-BY-NC-SA
    13. 13. Google API Tidsresan/ Museisök Time MashFornfynd IOS API K-SAMSÖK Wikipedia WebService Libris XML ? Läns- Läns- Läns- museum RAÄ Läns- museum Hembygds- Läns- Kommun- MUSEUM museum Fornsök museum museum museum museum UGC