Articles are structure wordsthat signal nouns which beginwith different sounds. Thenouns they signal may besingular or plural.
There are two types of articles:(i) definite articles(ii) indefinite articles
An Article which is used torefer to a person or thing isknown as the DefiniteArticle.Example: the
An Article which does notrefer to any particularperson or thing is known asthe indefinite Article.Example: a, an
The selectionbetween ‘a’ and‘an’ isdeterminedby sound.
1. A is used before a wordbeginning with a consonantsound.Example: a boy, a man, a human being, a table, a horse, a yard, a young man.
2. A is used before aword beginning with ‘h’and also with ‘y’ and ‘u’.Example: a horse, a historical novel, a human being, a youth, a unit, a union, a European.
3. A is used before a wordbeginning with a ‘w’ sound.Example: a one leggedsailor, a one man tribunal, aone dollar note, a one wayticket, sucha coin.
4. An is used before a wordbeginning with a vowelsound. Example: an hour, anhonour, an heir, anhonourable, an honestcitizen.
It is used in exclamatory sentences.Example:what a pretty girl! what a shame!what a clever boy! what a hot day!
1. A or An is not used with aplural noun.Example: dogs, books, girls (not a dogs, a girls, a books)
2. With unconditional nouns.Example: advice furniture knowledgenews business imagerybaggage luggage poetry
But these words may be used with: some, any, a little, a lot of, a bit, an item of.Example: some advice, any news, a piece of information, a knowledge of English is useful. (Correct)
1. Unique things The Definite Article ‘the’ is used with unique things in nature.Example:the sun, the sea, the moon, the earth The sun rises in the east. The earth moves round the sun.
2. Superlative Adjectives ‘The’ is used before superlativeadjectives.Example: the tallest the biggest the largest the longest
3. Double Comparatives ‘The’ is used with double comparatives.Example: The more I read, the more I like. The more I earn, the more I spend. The more I eat, the less I like.
4. Historic buildings ‘The’ is used with historical buildings.Example: the National Theatre the MUSON centrethe Museum the Beach house
5. Names of countries ‘The’ is used with the names of certain countries and provinces.Example: the Yorubas the United Kingdom the United States the Deccan
1. Proper nouns No Article is used with proper nouns.Example: Japan, Bill Clinton, Dayo Ojo, Abuja, Nigeria, Amadi Uka
2. Unique posts No Article is used before unique posts.Example: He was elected president of the association. He became principal of the college. She was elected chairman of the company.
1. When two adjectives qualifying the same noun are connected by ‘and’, the Article must be used with the first adjectives.Example: The blue and yellow skirt. (one skirt)This is an English and Frenchdictionary. (one dictionary)
2. When two adjectives are qualifying different nouns, the Article must be used with each adjectives.Example: The first and the last poems.The green and red skirts.The Yoruba and Igbo language.
3. When two nouns refer to different persons or things, the Article must be used with each noun.Example: I met the editor and the journalist.I had an interview with the novelist andthe critic.
Fill in the blanks with suitable Articles:1. Iron is ___ useful metal.2. My father is ___ honourable man.3. Honest men speak ___ truths.4. Jerusalem is ___ holy place.5. Malta is ___ island.6. I first met Ada ___ year ago.7. ____ French defeated the Germans.8. We never saw such ___ terrible accident.9. We read ___ Bible everyday.10. My friend is ___ European.
Correct the following sentences:1. Victoria has beautiful face.2. Camel is the sheep of the desert.3. Adaku is efficient teacher.4. My uncle is a minister.5. I gave her lot of money.6. He gave me an advice.7. The man is a social animal.8. Rich should be honoured.9. We must help poor and love them.10. I read Times Newspaper daily.
Correct the following sentences:1. The gold is a precious metal.2. The health is wealth.3. I appreciated courage of Bukola.4. The Ibadan is a beautiful place in Nigeria.5. Niger is a long river.6. I like the tennis.7. I worship gracefulness of woman.8. The father returned home.9. Sun rises in the east.10. The Nature is the best physician.