Seamless Orchestration of VMs and Docker
….beyond installing Docker Engine via SaltStack
Why not other solutions?
• Single Toolchain to manage both – mix Docker and VMs
• Tight integration with existing environment
• Docker tools don’t manage VMs well or at all
(Swarm, Compose, Kubernates etc.)
• VM tools aren’t good at very large pools of volatile containers
• Puppet - IP address keyed
• Chef - too complex
• Ansible - too simple
SaltStack does it all!
• Deep integration with VMs (salt-cloud) and Docker (docker-ng)
• Good at highly volatile environments
• Intelligent Datacenter Management with Reactor
Docker has an event (SSE) stream
SaltStack has Event Reactors
Publish Docker events on SaltStack event bus!
React to Docker events with Salt States!
… do other cool stuff!
The Saltstack Event System
• Has multiple “graph driver” backends
• Use OverlayFS, fast, efficient but needs lots of iNodes
What we use:
• Saltstack Master + Minion: 2015.8.8.2
• Docker: 1.10.1+
• Ubuntu: 14.04LTS
• Build AMIs with Packer and Saltstack Provisioner