Brand You 2.0
• What do Jack Welch, Richard Branson
& Vijay Mallya have in common?
• It’s not just the private jet /island
[They are talented and have
[In the next 35 minutes]
• We will take you through the journey of building a
personal brand and tell you few tips and tricks that can
you help brand YOU!
• Some questions which we will address are:
• What is a brand?
• A personal brand : Now what new thing is this?
• Who ?
[What is a Brand?]
“A brand is a perception or emotion,
maintained by a buyer or prospective
buyer, describing the experience
related to doing business with an
organization or consuming its
products and services.”- David McNally
and Karl D. Speak
Be Your Own Brand
A perception or emotion, maintained by
somebody other than you, describes the total
experience of having a relationship with
Personal Branding unlike Corporate Branding is
not designed to make people just emote but
asking people to trustin you.
[Why build a personal brand?]
Because they matter!
– Differentiate yourself from your competition
– Ensure that people remember you
– Project credibility
– Strike an emotional chord
– Create strong user loyalty
– Build a long lasting relationship
Keep your marketing goals in mind and channel your efforts
Unique persons are reliable,
meaningful and differentiated.
They are a concept and communicate in
a tangible, consistent way.
[Who should build a personal brand]
– Anyone who has anything to sell-
– CEOs, founders, media personalities,
Personal brands are
[Building YOU the right way]
• Building your personal brand is something you
can do whether you’re an individual in business
or an employee of an organization.
• The right way is to provide something of value to
others where there is no apparent direct reward
• Tools that assist you to do so are: Blogs, wikis,
RSS, Podcasts, blogs, Videocasts/Vlogs, Moblogs,
MMS, social networks, virtual communities ,
[Steps to building a personal brand]
• SWOT- Strengths', Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
• Core value- figure out what your core values are and how you can market them
• Avenues to communicate the personal brand
• Keep your blog updated
• Network on sites like Linkedin.com, facebook.com etc
• Write articles for prominent newspapers
• Take on speaking assignments
• Reinforce the brand
• Reinvent when needed
Caveats while building a brand
• Allow your work to also do the talking
• Be honest with your brand
[Personal brand footprint]
• Offline : • Online:
– Social network
– Business cards
– eBrand Assets
– Personal packaging
– Physical health
• How well does your brand translate
offline and online?
• What types of impressions are you
• What is the impact of your brand?
[Elements of Success]
Don’t try to be
Keep to the point something you’re not!
Avoid fluff Be authentic
Info-tain No overselling please!
Build and engage
Respect listeners’ time