Best Practices exhibited by Ants
Under the guidance of :
BIMTECH, Greater Noida
1. A new worker spends the first few days of its adult life
caring for the queen and young. She then graduates to
digging and other nest work, and later to defending the
nest and foraging.
Application – Use of class schedules in a gradual and flexible
manner to suit students requirements :
- This system can be applied to our system of learning.
- In this case, students will be gradually exposed to a 3 hour
continuous learning instead of jumping to it right from the
- Students can be given a flexibility of class and schedules,
first trimester each classes can be of 1 hour session each.
- In the next trimester this can be graduated to a 2 hour
- It would help gain more productivity in terms of the
- Their class participation will also increase and they wont find
management education to be tedious right from the start.
- With active participation, faculties will also be motivated to
promote a better teaching.
2. The females store the sperm they obtain during their
nuptial flight to selectively fertilise future eggs.
Application – The same system can be applied to BIMTECH mess
- Make half cooked foods which can be fully cooked and
for a small period of time
- This food can be then fully cooked as per the demand as it
- Like for example, if someday the demand of food
rises, they can be catered directly with the half cooked
this will make the process easier and the waiting time of the
students will be reduced.
- The wastage in terms of food can be controlled
- The demand of the foods can be controlled
- Waiting time for students in time of high demand of food
less in this case
3. Ants store the food for the winter season during summer
Application – The same can be applied in the BIMTECH water
- During summers, we use the water cooler to cool the hot
stored in the tank
- This cooler consumes extra electricity and students may
sometimes have to wait to get the water cooled
- The problem can be solved if we provide a secondary
the water in the main tank
- A portion of the water will be automatically transferred to
- Less consumption of water coolers
- Saving of electricity
- Students no longer have to wait at times when the flow gets
stopped due to inadequate water in the cooler (especially
heavy demand times)
4. Suicidal defences by workers are noted in a Brazillian
ant. Forelius Pusillus, where a small group of ants leave the
security of the nest after sealing the entrance from the
outside each evening.
Application:- The same can be applied in BIMTECH hostels as
-Hostel consists of around 400 rooms and Air-Conditioners(AC)
fitted in each room.
- Students often forget to switch off the AC while going out of
rooms. Hence, it results in unnecessary power consumption
can be later utilised in a more productive way.
- By applying the above ant mechanism, rooms can be
- Saving of electricity
- Fool-proof process as the room wont get locked without
the key. As the key is taken out from the slot, AC is
switched off automatically.
- Security advantage for the students and they are made
5. Two antennae (feeders) are attached to the head. These
organs detect chemicals, air, currents and vibrations. They
are also used to transmit and receive signals through
Application - Use of a portable Biometric sensor to take classroom
- A portable Biometric finger print scanner would be assigned for
each subject in a trimester/semester.
- The access to operating menu of scanner would be authorised to
the course faculty.
- The faculty would access the scanner’s menu and would open
the scanner for accepting student finger prints as a mark of
their presence in class and record their attendance.
- The scanner would be passed on from student to student during
- It would help in saving the time, which was earlier being
faculty for marking physical attendance in the attendance
- The saved time can be used for much useful
- The digitally recorded attendance could be directly
onto an excel file
- No proxy attendance could be marked
- The scanner can be used again and again for one course at